Recent content by cistercian

1. cistercian

Is it worth upgrading from ER2SE to ER4SR?

Ok. That did not take long. I cannot stand the triple flange tips. I use the 2 flange super soft ones and they work well. The bass on the BA set is so much better I can't believe it. I wonder if the DD set is more sensitive to insertion depth than the BA set? The ER4SR is perfect. Sublime...
  2. cistercian

Is it worth upgrading from ER2SE to ER4SR?

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to report my impressions of the ER2SE vs ER4SR. I like the 2se so much I bought a second pair. I just got a ER4SR today. I hesitated to buy it but the low efficiency of the 2se was something I hoped to improve. The 4sr is speced 2 db more sensitive @...
  3. cistercian

IEM for crystal radio use

I should mention that in practice I have had excellent results with the KZ ZSN Pro X. It is very sensitive and close to the as16 but with better bass. It is very inexpensive for those that want to give it a try too!
  4. cistercian

On the #12 wire 8 turn magnetic loop 44 inches per side using the 100k to 16 ohm transformer and a germanium diode from Asheville NC stations so far. No earth ground used. 5 local stations excluded...all of them very close. Antenna facing N/S 650 WSM Nasheville 660 WFAN NY 690 WOKV Jacksonville...
  5. cistercian

Further testing shows the 24 is better in HF response but in fade conditions the 16 beats it because it does not roll off as much as you approach 1 kc. Comically, the 24 is better for finding new stations as hetrodynes are much louder in it. But for voice intelligibility the 16 is better. In...
  6. cistercian

UPDATE: Like an idiot I bought a KZ AS24 hoping for an improvement over the AS16 because it had double the number of HF BA's as well as a redesigned mid and bass BA. It is now my go to for weak signal crystal radio use. In practice the AS24 is about as much better for weak stations as the...
  7. cistercian

KZ ZSX IEM Review

I own a ton of KZ IEMs. I prize them primarily for their incredible sensitivity for use with crystal radio sets and also for listening to natural radio with my home made VLF antennas. For music I much prefer my Sennheiser HD600 and HD560S. And several other Sennheiser cans. BA transducers have...
  8. cistercian

RME ADI-2 DAC FS - AKM Versus ESS Measurements (DAC, Preamp & Headamp)

@VintageFlanker Epic post and thank you. Happily listening to my AKM RME ADI-2 as I write this. I cried when the AKM fab burned down and bought an Icom R-30 based on the fab being trashed. Because ICOM had a custom decoder chip built at that fab that disappeared after it burned down...and as...
  9. cistercian

New Chinese IEM's

I bought a pile of IEMs primarily for high sensitivity geek use. I have the Tin Hifi T3 Plus which is an excellent sounding as well as great fitting IEM...I highly recommend it. I also Have a Moondrop Aria which is a miss in terms of fit...but sounds wonderful. I had to use spinfits to make it...
  10. cistercian

It is my friend. I was 8 when I got mine. I am 61 now. So when I say these are good I am serious. I hate earbuds BTW. I wish someone...anyone would make good "cans" for this but they don't. The best I found before I went down the IEM rabbit hole is the Sennheiser HD-26 Pro cans. They are...
  11. cistercian

I went a bit nuts after I discovered how sensitive low impedance IEMs can be using an appropriate audio transformer...for crystal radio use. This is NOT an audio quality topic. As an inveterate geek I have played with high sensitivity phones since I was a boy. My first radio was a crystal set...
  12. cistercian

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Listening to my early unit tonight. (AKM Chipset) Its preposterously excellent. What an amazing piece of gear. I am so happy with it! Thanks RME and Amir for reviewing it. Such an excellent piece of equipment...its amazing....still. What a fantastic DAC. It's EPIC!!!!!
  13. cistercian

Amazing Experiment

Me too. LOL
  14. cistercian

Crown XLS 1002

I bought a Crown 1002 and liked it so much I bought a 2502. Best amps I have ever had. I run mine full range into JBL 835 passive speakers. I use a RME ADI2 DAC which is just an epic piece of gear. But I am a cretin so beware my advice. See Amirs review of my components. I like what I use...
  15. cistercian

Let's talk CD Players!

I think the CD format is more than enough! My experience was my player failed so I bought a replacement and it sounded horrible. It had digital output so instead of the analog I tried that and in so doing realized my old CD experience was colored by a very poor built in DAC of my original...
Top Bottom