Recent content by cinemakinoeye

1. cinemakinoeye

AirPort Express 2 vs. other streamer options

There is a long related discussion about Airport Express in this discussion thread. I am a big fan of the Airport Express (second generation A1392) which is AirPlay 2 capable with a firmware update. I have five of these devices around the house as my whole house music system using Apple Music...
  2. cinemakinoeye

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Well said! I love the visual experience of vinyl, there is something beautiful about the grooves, the needle dancing in response and producing a signal that becomes music, however, the fidelity of a properly mastered track without clicks, pops, limited dynamic range, distortion, and surface...
  3. cinemakinoeye

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

One way to understand the vinyl renaissance is to examine it through the lens of material culture, considering factors of nostalgia and tangibility, there is quite a bit of fascinating research in this area, for example Michael Palm’s article “Keeping what real? Vinyl records and the future of...
  4. cinemakinoeye

Industry Insiders And Their Nonsense

In most cases they who were there first are the defacto DJ; most of the time it’s the kids or the adults using the living room; and the eldest is now off at college. There are the occasional arguments…
  5. cinemakinoeye

The Fantasticality of Immersive Musical Spaces

I have a theory: just like the introduction of stereo led to some ridiculous mixing that led to some really unlistenable mixes, we are seeing the same thing with “immersive formats.” A carefully planned and executed immersive recording and playback can bring the excitement of a live performance...
  6. cinemakinoeye

Industry Insiders And Their Nonsense

I decided to accommodate “the kids” in my household and install a music listening system in the living room that uses anyone’s iPhone as a music source. I can hear the gnashing of teeth and the sharpening of knives. Sign of the times. The system consists of an Apple AirPort Express connected to...
  7. cinemakinoeye

A no-taking-sides, no judgment classification of the 4 types of Audiophile. "The audiophile bestiary".

Much that influences our self knowledge and evaluation of ourselves and others will always remain a mystery.
  8. cinemakinoeye

A no-taking-sides, no judgment classification of the 4 types of Audiophile. "The audiophile bestiary".

I will grant you it could be useful as shorthand to acknowledge where one is coming from, but best in my mind to allow people to self-identify. I’m 30% serious, 30% kidding, and 20% something else I can’t quite put in a category.
  9. cinemakinoeye

Taxonomies always come with implicit and explicit biases, classification is an act of judgement, which may entertain, offend, confound, or clarify. It all depends on the context. The question I have is when is a taxonomy like this useful and when is it not? We humans are quite complicated, I...
  10. cinemakinoeye

need help choosing headphone amp

That looks like a reasonable option if you don't also need balanced preamp outs; I needed balanced headphones and preamp outs, which is why I chose the Schiit Jotunheim, but the SMSL HO100 looks like a nice device if you don't need balanced preamp outs (I also wanted a silver box, but that's...
  11. cinemakinoeye

If you are looking for balanced input and balanced output with XLR connectors as well as standard (6.5mm) and balanced (XLR-4) headphone outs, is there anything else in the marketplace that compares to the Schiit Jotunheim 2?
  12. cinemakinoeye

I have a Schiit Jotunheim 2, headphone amp, it has both balanced and single-ended preamp in and outs, and has a switch to enable or disable the pre-out. I have been using it to drive both headphones and a power amp and speakers for a tad over a year with no buyers regret. It can be ordered with...
  13. cinemakinoeye

Audioquest GO-4 Speaker Cable Review

These cable reviews are fun to read; AudioQuest deserves a hall of fame award among purveyors of snake oil. I have some of their LGC (long grain copper) speaker cables that an audio dealer threw in for free with a pair of speakers I purchased from them many years ago, and I laughed out loud...
  14. cinemakinoeye

Schiit Magni Heretic Headphone Amp Review

However, you can use narrative reports of subjective experience as data; the challenge is it’s very complicated to interpret. Measurements are artifacts of a paradigmatic realm of knowledge; while reports of subjective experience are artifacts of a narrative realm of knowledge; which according...
  15. cinemakinoeye

Any downside to using balanced-to-unbalanced adapters instead of buying a device with a balanced input?

The Scarlett Solo is decent interface that can be used as a headphone amp too. It may not provide the power some power hungry cans require, but I’ve been happy with the results listening with the Sennheiser HD650 and Sony MDR-7506. If the goal is to drive a headphone amp you already have...
Top Bottom