Recent content by ChrisH

1. C

Which speakers are the Classical Music Pros using?

This is an excellent book on concert hall acoustics: Concert Halls and Opera Houses: Music, Acoustics, and Architecture by Leo Baranek https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0387955240/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  2. C

PlayClassics TRT v2.1j master file giveaway for ASR members

I would enjoy checking out the Mozart/Beethoven quintets, and the Stories album. Thank you!
  3. C

Objective music review-a draft

This what I'm really getting at, though my attempt seemed to have failed. Many conductors do not follow the composers instructions, and often misrepresent what is in the score. Some do this to a drastic degree; this used to be really common in the early days of conducting. That's not to say what...
  4. C

Obviously, music isn't entirely objective, but this does compares more things to the score than any other review I have ever encountered. Anyway, I was trying something different out, sorry if it didn't meet your requirements or expectations. I tried to keep the subjectivity to a minimum, at...
  5. C

In another thread I said something about classical music reviews needing to be more objective. Another user wondered what something like this would look like, so I have put together a little draft. This is not really fleshed out, more notes and ideas really. The recording in question is Manfred...
  6. C

Classical Music Guides & Reviews

An objective review would involve actually reading through the score and seeing what it actually asks for and comparing it to what the conductor put forward. Most reviews tend to deal with feelings and comparing/contrast of other recordings. Why do you need this when you have the score, the...
  7. C

Classical Music Guides & Reviews

Classical music review is generally trash. I doubt the majority of these reviewers can even read an score. It would be nice if we held music reviewers to the same standard that Amir has brought to equipment reviews; something a little more objective in it's approach. The best thing a new...
  8. C

Classical music and space for new recordings

I didn't find the Fisch Ring to be boring at all, it was quite enjoyable and has one of the best Hunding's on record. I don't put it above the Solti, but I tend not like ranking things; it's generally quite pointless. My post was an attempt at humor, which seemed to have failed. Personally, I...
  9. C

Classical music and space for new recordings

I enjoy the wealth of new and interesting classical recordings and truly think every orchestra and opera house should make all of their performances available. The technology is certainly there to do this. I am a collector though, so my view is slightly different than most. The way classical...
  10. C

Review and Measurements of Class D Audio CDA-250C Amp

I use 3 CDA-120's in my active setup right now. Honestly, they always sounded good to me, but seeing these measurements make me question if I should make a change. I Thanks for the measurements.
  11. C

When is it right to denounce music and stop playing it?

This is truly up to the individual. Levines predilections have been known in the classical music world since the 80's, probably further back. Does this make everyone who made music with him also culpable? Should we also get rid of all the Cleveland recordings as 2 members have been dismissed for...
  12. C

Internet Direct Brands (ID): Ascend Acoustics, Chane, Philharmonic Audio, Wavecrest Audio, SVS

I own a pair of Tempestas from Selah Audio out of North Carolina. They are similar to Salk and Philharmonic. Wonderful speakers and great customer service. Very nice pricing too, especially if you like to build a kit. Rick at Selah is great to work with.
  13. C

My favorite Beethoven piano sonata cycles

No love for Ronald Brautigam and his cycle on BIS? He plays them on copy of a Graf fortepiano from 1819. This gives the sonata's a much different personality. Excellent sound, too. If you haven't checked them out, it's worth your time.
  14. C

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 as USB to S/PDIF Converter

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the SMSL xUSB.
  15. C

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 as USB to S/PDIF Converter

Great timing with these measurements, Amir. I was searching around for something like this yesterday. A quick question about this Topping D10. If I was to use Audiolense and Jriver, would I be route different signals to the SPDIF and the RCA? Using the RCA outs for subs, and the SPDIF out to my...
Top Bottom