Recent content by Chris Prosser

1. Chris Prosser

Help me sort out USB noise and a ground loop in a rather convoluted setup

Yes, the usb isolators work. I had a similar problem, no hum, but a ton of noise from inside the computer. I can’t remember which one I bought offhand, I got one from Mouser I believe.
  2. Chris Prosser

My Dad's want better speakers !

I think filling the space is best done with a few Sonos speakers. You can pick up 3-4 of the Play 1, they all synchronize and allow you to have low volume that fills the space.
  3. Chris Prosser

Seeking Recommendation of Flat, High-Isolation Cans

How well does the mic work for speech recognition? I currently use Sennheiser SD Pro 2 with dragon naturallyspeaking, but my workspace will be removing all the walls soon. The SD Pros are on ear and not great at isolating.
  4. Chris Prosser

Virtual Oscilloscope vs Digital Oscilloscope

I went through this decision myself and I ended up with a Siglent 1104X-E. The benefits over the rigol is two ADCs so you can get 50MS/S with 3-4 channels. Protocol decode works on more than what is visible on the screen. It’s got a faster CPU so screen refreshes are faster, and has a full web...
  5. Chris Prosser

Well I bought a Monoprice tube amp/dac

From the description looks like it has an output transformer and selectable impedance.
  6. Chris Prosser

Review and Measurements of Massdrop Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid (CTH) and JDS O2 Headphone Amps

That statement totally intrigued me, but the schematic didn't back it up. It looks like the op-amps are used in parallel to increase the current output of the amp. Which NWAVGUY talks about here: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/07/o2-design-process.html Thanks for the link to the design! It's...
  7. Chris Prosser

More scope geeking

Yeah, I just started unraveling the thread of standalone DSO's. Wow, that's quite a price drop from the first one I used back in 1994. The only reason I'm leaning towards the PC based scopes is because of ergonomics. My neck isn't in great shape and bending over to use a scope makes things...
  8. Chris Prosser

More scope geeking

Hey @DonH56, I broke out my Bitscope and actually used it in MSO mode trying to debug something I just built and I can strongly recommend against it :facepalm:. From my research it looks like the manufacturer has basically moved on to other things. Software (which wasn't great to begin with)...
  9. Chris Prosser

Measurement Equiptment?

Thanks for all the replies. I have to admit, I like the flexibility of the Scarlett 2i2 for some possible future project ideas. I also have a Topping d30 and d10 kicking around, so that would clean up the 8kHz spikes on the DAC side of things. Though I must admit, the QA401 scratches my test...
  10. Chris Prosser

Measurement Equiptment?

Hi Folks, I like to build amps, mainly from kits. Some of them sound awful, others are OK. This site has inspired me to want to actually measure their performance. I came across this thread which has some recommendations on hardware...
  11. Chris Prosser

usbdisruptor

I think the only thing you’ll get from it is galvanic isolation. Ground loops cause a ton of noise. But there are cheaper options if all you need to do is isolate ground.
  12. Chris Prosser

Forum Software Upgrade!!!

Looks much better on Mobile, especially verical layouts. In regards to New Posts, I found New Posts under the hamburger menu on my phone. Not sure where on desktop. I’m currently grinding though GDPR compliance at work. Wish we could just upgrade to fix it :).
  13. Chris Prosser

Ground loop fun

And just to tie things off, the olimex usb-iso worked wonderfully to solve my ground loop. I had to scrounge out a wall wart from my box of wall warts as the Olimex only can handle 375mA and the Topping needs 500mA. But with that hooked up, it is blissfully silent for the first time since I...
  14. Chris Prosser

$1k headphones

I can also recommend trying out some planars. The Oppo PM-3s allowed me to hear the details you like, bow on the string, fingers moving, on my favorite cello piece. I couldn’t stand how they felt, so back they went, but I’ve been searching ever since.
  15. Chris Prosser

Ground loop fun

RME? That’s quite a nice isolating transformer you have there. When I was learning to use my analog scope, I was poking at a motor wanting to look at the waveform and accidentally did a dead short to ground. That was terrifying. In my case that would help, provided I put it in the right...
Top Bottom