Recent content by CherylJosie

1. C

macOS vs. Windows vs. Linux

Okay so that’s the enterprise version of VMware and requires a paid license. I assume that direct pass-through isn’t supported in the free version and shared access via hardware drivers in the hypervisor slows down things some? My Intel is ancient (first desktop i7, one core two threads)...
  2. C

Okay thanks so it’s not just me being obtuse then, there is a hardware driver issue. I wasn’t aware that clients could have exclusive access. That would fix some problems. The TV tuner used to be network controlled via MythTV on Ubuntu. I haven’t reinstalled it since moving back to the house...
  3. C

We tried Steam over a year ago. He could only find one of his FOSS games for Linux and it was a primitive one similar to PacMan. He uses a Windows PC.
  4. C

20 years ago my colleagues were writing their code on Solaris. We had SPARCs in our product. It's been a while for me, and I've been mostly out of the loop since then. But regarding 'doing fancy' I'm referring to virtualization, web servers, databases, file servers, embedded, shell scripting...
  5. C

Exclusively Ubuntu Linux these days: the built-in 10'-ish interface taskbar (originally intended to be a phone OS) works well for my home theater and I use the TV as my desktop monitor also. Used to run mythtv, but haven't bothered upgrading to replacements since I don't use the OTA tuner any...
  6. C

Monolith by Monoprice THX Certified Satellite Speakers (review by Erin)

Is it just my eyes or is that like unbelievably good directivity and frequency response for a tiny $125 speaker?
  7. C

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

The most helpful enhancement I found besides direct drive was linear tracking
  8. C

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Not sure if this has been posted before (even by me, don't remember) but I can think of a couple of really good reasons to prefer owning a vinyl collection. The first one is that civilization will ultimately collapse one day, maybe sooner than any of us expect given the recent global warming...
  9. C

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

Back in the early days the 1 bit delta-sigma converter was all the rage, until somebody developed a theoretical explanation for why such converters always saturate and introduce distortion when dithered.: http://www.essentialaudio.com/1-Bit-Is-Bad.pdf Archiving and mixing in SACD format turns...
  10. C

The multichannel version of Brothers in Arms really benefits from that clean original master. Superb ambient sound field and definition. If you haven't tried it, I'd recommend it.
  11. C

I found that the multichannel re-issues of classic albums or new releases sound superb. It's not just the extra channels. I think in the process of re-mastering them to multichannel they also use better engineering overall, because why would you produce an audiophile grade multichannel release...
  12. C

Probably a glitch or brain fart. How strange.
  13. C

The perfect speaker is room dependent - wide vs. narrow directivity and more

This is an interesting take on it. I've been recording weekend warrior bar bands and free concerts in the park as a hobby, using a variety of techniques. For a while I tried using a 10 channel mid-side microphone array using 6 multi-polar microphones (Behringer B2 Pro, got them for $500 total...
  14. C

Are you using a subwoofer/subwoofers?

Ah, I thought LFE could also be used as an abbreviation for low frequency extension? as in, -3dB LFE?
Top Bottom