Recent content by cavedriver

1. C

Lack of high-end speaker reviews

I would have been surprised if it wasn't good, but that's the point of this thread, isn't it? As in, which companies' speakers are still hard to predict as to whether they will be good or not. I would admit at this point that KEF's products are relatively predictable going forward. If I could...
  2. C

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

It's for multi-amping speakers with active crossovers, just the woofers would be on this amp. There are lots of 15" and 18" woofers for the commercial sound reproduction market that handle these power levels. Here's the 15NW100 from B&C with a 1000 W continuous power rating. But I don't need...
  3. C

I appreciate the answer - I was overlooking that unit, but for 8 ohm loads a bridged 502MP is in a completely different league than a 1200. The 1200 is only 400 W into 8 ohm, vs 1.2 kW for the 502MP. It seems the ideal solution is the NC2000, which puts out 1.6 kW into an 8 ohm load - nice! I...
  4. C

Was it already discussed- there's no option to bridge 2 of these together for more power like the 502MP card can be?
  5. C

KEF Blade 2 Meta review by Erin's Audio Corner

Why is the distortion so high above 6k? Many high end tweeters manage better than 1% distortion in that range. I would probably find these speakers fatiguing.
  6. C

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

boundary conditions are a fluid properties term. The air is a fluid. The air can't have any velocity at the wall because the wall is solid. The air would have to "push through it" in order to be carrying sound still when it reaches the wall. In a sense the air that is touching the wall has...
  7. C

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Andrew Jones' Mofi Sourcepoint 8 and 10 are on sale on their website right now, first time I've seen that before. $2000, down from $3k for the 8, and $3000, down from $3.7k for the 10. Stands are a couple hundred on top of those prices...
  8. C

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

I really do wonder, with color-printable grill fabrics, why isn't anyone offering "art speakers" that have fabric artwork for grills? Of course I'm referencing the fabric on Gik Acoustics' and other's sound absorbing "art panels". Seems like I could start a little business doing art printing...
  9. C

New Philharmonic BMR HT Towers

nice space, lots of light, definitely need that cloud, hope it's big considering all those exposed floor joists. When you're done with all the treating perceived power demand will go up, maybe not a lot but some for sure. I'm still learning about them but Danley seems like a potential source...
  10. C

New Philharmonic BMR HT Towers

in that big a room? Highly doubtful. I have the towers and yes, they can get loud, but not with the dynamics of a "big" speaker that could fill that kind of space. Consider that at the orchestra in real life the peaks are supposedly up to 110 dB or perhaps a bit more, and you want to project...
  11. C

Master List of New Speakers

Maybe a google docs link instead of embedding the spreadsheets? Seems it would be a lot more useful if we could get back to one place for everything?
  12. C

Master List of New Speakers

I'm confused, the intro says this is a thread of monitors, yet many of these speakers are not monitors. Why the inconsistency? Setting aside that they are not monitors, if speakers from 2022 and 2023 are the only ones included, why include the Sourcepoint 8 from 2023 and not the Sourcepoint 10...
  13. C

Almost $10,000 in drivers alone, better be goooood! :) -actually over 10k if those are the latest L16RNX that sell for ~$200 each.
  14. C

I think it's been the unspoken understanding for some time now that this is the most beautiful and most ugly speakers in the world thread all in one. Praise subjectivity! It goes back more than 10 pages too, like 50+ pages. Personally, I don't comment on many of the "ugly" speakers and just...
  15. C

you might want to read up on the discussions re solid wood vs plywood vs mdf for speaker construction, but you probably already know solid wood is horrible for making speakers because of the resonance. multi-ply baltic birch plywood is fairly common and has a surface that can be finished to a...
Top Bottom