Recent content by carat

1. C

MOTU UltraLite-mk5 Review (Audio Interface)

Install driver/CueMix on PC. Connect ULMk5 to PC. Update firmware to latest. Enable Network Control in CueMix on PC. Install CueMix on second device. It should detect the UL via the network and you can control it just as if it were connected directly.
  2. C

Why does this thing take so long in switching between sampling rates? Every time it has to sit there hunting for a clock lock even when it's the one providing the clock.
  3. C

Cheapest way to get pristine SPDIF out on RCA coax from PC?

The FiiO BTA30 Pro is capable of serving as a USB to SPDIF bridge with both Coax and TOSLINK outputs (they can even be used simultaneously)
  4. C

Is matching metals to avoid galvanic corrosion a lost cause?

Why does Amphenol see fit to disclose the plating used on all of their their TRS plugs, but not for their TRS sockets? I must have spent 30 minutes trying to determine the contact plating for their ACJS-MHDC (which appears to be the part used for my UltraLite Mk5's rear jacks) to no avail. Their...
  5. C

I wish that were the case, but it is most definitely not. None of my Radial DI boxes have gold contacts in their sockets. Even on my audio interface there is a mixture of gold plated combi jacks and silver (nickel?) plated TRS jacks.
  6. C

Because I have a bunch of static, permanently connected equipment, my intention was to match the plating of the contacts on the connectors to avoid galvanic corrosion (which I believe may have been leading to intermittent connections over time). I had thought only gold and nickel were widely...
  7. C

Motu M2 Review (Audio Interface)

Has anyone attempted to connect an iPhone's 3.5mm output to one/both of the M2's TRS inputs? I know the ports are supposed to handle "line-level" signals, but I've seen complaints of poor results using the M2 with Line-level sources, and the iPhone isn't exactly line-level to begin with. I want...
  8. C

Network control is working like a dream now between Windows and my iPhone. Surprised that CueMix doesn't even need to be running on the PC. I'm so glad they made this an 'official' feature.
  9. C

Hard to get a photo of the contacts, but on my r1.6 it seems to be gold in the front and nickel in the rear. I stress r1.6 because they could easily have switched the parts in the newer version.
  10. C

Isn’t the revision number on the sticker? Otherwise, shine a light through the ventilation slits and look for the electrolytic capacitors at the back. That’s one distinctive difference. Look at the PCB photos linked earlier in the thread. The newer model has a double row of caps. The older model...
  11. C

Steelseries GameDAC Gen 2 for Xbox teardown

Presumably I2S is what it being used to pipe the audio from the ALC4050 to the ESS DAC so you would probably just piggyback on that and your I2S-to-TOSLINK adapter would get everything the ESS DAC gets. This would all be happening downstream of the SteelSeries firmware so that shouldn't matter...
  12. C

Steelseries GameDAC Gen 2 for Xbox teardown

I want to know what the mystery SteelSeries-branded chip is doing. Can anyone hazard a guess based on layout? Are we sure about that? When I was researching audio extractors it seemed like nobody was testing latency, and the only manufacturer that actually bothered to give latency specs on...
  13. C

Fiio BTA30 Pro Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver + DAC - Review

My bad, I must be blind. I really wish FiiO would release a new version without this horrible feature. For me it completely ruins what is otherwise a very capable product. I had to get a Sennheiser BT-T100 instead, which is far less flexible than the BTA30.
  14. C

Fiio BTA30 Pro Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver + DAC - Review

The BTA30 Pro has a dirty little secret that doesn't seem to have been mentioned in this thread: In BT Tx mode, here is some kind of noise gate in place that cuts out the audio altogether if it goes below a certain level. For example, very low ambient noise in a film (wind, distant city, etc.)...
  15. C

Earlier someone posted a link to this guide: I'm having no luck with this. The Mk5 is connected via USB to a Windows 10 PC, and I'm trying to connect to it from an iPhone on the same network. I think it might have something to do with iOS's local network permission system, however the prompt...
Top Bottom