Recent content by captain paranoia

1. C

Toslink to Coax converter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/173663981827
  2. C

Looks like it. That also looks similar to a cheap (<£5) DAC I have bought direct from China; have a look at places like Banggood.
  3. C

ps. I assumed by 'coax', you meant coax SPDIF, not an analogue output from a DAC.
  4. C

Toslink is merely an optical version of SPDIF. All you need is a toslink receiver and a coax line driver to convert optical to electrical. No format or bit conversion is required, just the physical interface.
  5. C

Raspberry pi3b usb output

I'm an electronic design engineer. I like tests, and trust them to identify good devices. After all, I use the same sort of tests when I'm developing equipment. But my point was that we can convince ourselves we like the sound of something due to confirmation bias; we are all vulnerable to this...
  6. C

I'm just pointing out that confirmation bias comes from many sources. If we're going to try to be objective about our subjective preferences, we need to bear that in mind. It's just a wry cautionary note. Just as someone might convince themselves their $70k DAC sounds great, we can convince...
  7. C

Do you remember your first DAC?

Bit = Binary digit is the generally-accepted origin. Byte = by eight
  8. C

Confirmation bias alert...
  9. C

You're missing the point. Subjective listening is very easily influenced by confirmation bias. If you really want to pick something using subjective testing, then make sure you use a blind testing regime.
  10. C

2019 Thorens New Reel to Reel Deck

Thanks for that; I grew up reading UK ETI. I ended up slicing them all up and collecting the articles by category. Audio was 'A' (in A-H). They published a couple of my designs when I was at university, and even offered me a full-time job...
  11. C

Vintage Audio: Measurements of Arcam Black Box 3 mk1

It's just practice... I spent months in front of an HP8568B when developing RF synthesis technology for the early days of Vodafone. My fingers used to fly around the keys to take measurements, without thinking. 30-odd years on, I'd struggle to set the centre frequency...
  12. C

Are you referring to standalone DACs, or do you include CD players in that hyperbole...?
  13. C

Yay! A Ferranti ZN428! Plus a quad OR gate for decoding, and a quad op-amp for buffering/filtering.
  14. C

I don't think I ever made a radio; too prosaic... The first ADC I had was made using the ZN428, controlled by a Commodore PET, running a successive approximation process in assembler... [edit: I found out later it was called 'successive approximation'; it was just a method I came up with...]
  15. C

And Byzantium before that...
Top Bottom