Recent content by captain paranoia

1. C

Newbie to the forum and have a question...

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny, or just argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. But, at the moment, I don't think you're helping the OP. Or yourself, come to that matter...
  2. C

Foobar or JRiver

PC: MediaMonkey, and more recently, MusicBee. I'm not fussed about playback plugins (although MB supports them). I use MM & MB more for library management, and AutoDJ playback, as I'm indecisive, and can't be bothered with playlists. MB is much quicker to load a large library, and has a smaller...
  3. C

Expensive Crossover Parts – Do They Matter?

Depends on the manufacturing spread. If the values are random, then the errors will average, but it's quite likely that, in a reel of resistors, adjacent components have the same error, whilst each is still in tolerance. So no averaging of errors.
  4. C

Expensive Crossover Parts – Do They Matter?

I see no reason why you can't parallel up larger value, lower power resistors; 5*18 ohm and a 130 ohm will come pretty close (3.503 ohm), and those are standard E24 series values. You'd only need 3W for each of the 18ohm.
  5. C

The new Khadas Tone Board looks amazing (with balanced output)

Many years ago, in the days of 4k8 and 9k6 modems, one of the sister companies of the company I worked for made modems, intended for commercial users, so they would be very likely to buy a lot of them, and stack them. Some bright spark of a 'product designer' decided that cuboid packages were...
  6. C

Argument for expensive digital cables, sounds good but mostly BS?

A destination-clocked protocol, where the destination pulls data from the source in FIFO buffer blocks, is indeed the best way of doing it (it's how it's done in a CD player). BUT not all USB interfaces are destination-clocked ('asynchronous'); the first USB audio interfaces are source-clocked...
  7. C

Argument for expensive digital cables, sounds good but mostly BS?

Ah, the cable wars... A cable will transfer wanted and unwanted signals from source to destination. A bad cable can result in the wanted signal being distorted, giving the digital data recovery circuit in the receiver a harder time. A bad cable can couple more electronic noise form source to...
  8. C

Longetivety and long Term Reliability of Today´s Integrated Circuits

I picked up one of those for £5 a couple of years ago...
  9. C

Yes. I know how much energy is required to make that bit of sand. My point was that, once used and made obsolete, there's no intrinsic value in old silicon. And, actually, much modern silicon is simply that; silicon; there's no plastic in a flip-chip package. There's a bit of metal for the...
  10. C

Then you're SooL, I'm afraid... Most modern, consumer, digital technology would be impossible to implement in a more discrete form. It would be huge, and take a huge amount of power, even if the discrete digital logic circuits were available. Think of the environmental impact of that power...
  11. C

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

Why? It looks quite expensive for what it is; a USB DAC dongle.
  12. C

Good luck fixing a broken bit on a core memory... Try running Windows 10 on a Sinclair ZX80... Integration and non-replaceability are price you (don't) pay for small, cheap, low-power, reliable electronics. Exponential growth in performance of digital electronics over the last 50 years means...
  13. C

I don't think 'premature failure' is the cause of the WEEE junkpile. It's much more to do with 'upgraditis'; gotta have the latest toy. Televisions are a prime example. Whilst 4K is very pretty, it's really not needed to watch the story. Audio is pretty bad for upgraditis, too; that's why you...
  14. C

DIY: Summer Projects

What is your filter design supposed to do? Where did you get the design from? A schematic would help. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLC_circuit
  15. C

The cost of good Programmers/Developers.

Positive discrimination is discrimination... We are involved in outreach programmes with schools, in both WISE and STEM programmes. The division (research) of the company I work for has a significantly higher proportion of women engineers than is usual. We are rightly held up as an example for...
Top Bottom