Recent content by brodie_mc_choad

1. B

Which class D amplifier would you guys choose?

JFC I'll print this and read it on the shitter over the next few days. Get back to you then.
  2. B

Which class D amplifier would you guys choose?

I've made repeated offers to Amir to test the following: ICE Power 1200AS2 totally standalone with extra thick gauge power supply cable PS Audio ICE Power based Mono things based on the 700 series IP modules DIY Hypex dual NC500 with stock input buffer boards ( compared with various others...
  3. B

Review and Measurements of PS Audio S300 PWR Amp

OK. Is there any one of those components you or the readers would like to prioritize? I have no preference.
  4. B

Review and Measurements of PS Audio S300 PWR Amp

Amir, I've got a "monoblock" PS Audio m700 amp (basically the big brother of the stereo amp under test here with the Icepower 700AS1 module) and an Icepower 1200AS2 DIY kit (it's a very simple implementation - PS and amp are all on one board in a nice chassis) as well as an Oppo Sonica DAC3 DAC...
  5. B

Budget DAC Review: behringer UMC204HD

FWIW I am running the Behringer straight into a Hypex Ncore amp with 1/4" TRS to balanced XLR connectors and it works fine. You don't get the convenience of a remote control, and the volume knob is small (not to mention the mystery "direct" button which I can't seem to get a satisfactory answer...
  6. B

Ha ha.....if I was up in the Pacific Northwest I'd be happy to. But when it comes to shipping a $3K+ investment across the country, I get a bit antsy.
  7. B

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

I've had bad luck with NC502s...the power supply is very sensitive to surges, but more importantly dips in AC power - as surge protectors don't block the latter. Had two of them fail on me so far. :-( The NC500 amp I've got is connected to an isolation XFRMR so I've not had any problems with the...
  8. B

I believe that is correct. The only difference is the features - Midi inputs and RCA outputs, but the underlying DAC is the same across all the UMCXXXHD series from Behringer.
  9. B

FWIW, I have it sitting side-by-side with a $7K (retail ha yeah right) PS Audio Perfectwave Directstream DAC w/ latest firmware and this Behringer more than holds its own in sound quality. It's not as convenient however since I'm streaming Roon to the PSA and that DAC does sound nice. Never seen...
  10. B

Didn't search the whole thread due to length, but I'm using the UMC202HD with the balanced TRS outputs on the back. There is a "direct monitor" switch that, when NOT engaged, appears to provide more gain than when it's engaged/pressed. Now, for the purpose of mixing and such, I have read that...
  11. B

If you're responding to me, I would ask the same thing. To which of my posts does your question apply? I provided a quote from the guy who's selling the Hypex amp (SOLD) on Reddit just up-thread. My comments were in reference to the comments on that Reddit listing which you can see by...
  12. B

Ah yes, you're right. Yeah I love my 500s too. I may give some NC400s a try in the future but I've heard that the power supplies (forget the model #) are prone to failure (?). I would also be curious to know if anyone's ever tried subbing a linear PS with one of the Hypex amp modules.
  13. B

To some of the replies you got on your Reddit listing, I think there's some confusion as to who is what's little brother in the Hypex range. AFAIK, the NC502MP in your unit is not really in the same category as the NC400, NC500 or NC1200. The latter three are all just power amplifier modules...
  14. B

New member, long time lurker/reader. This report made my day as I had built a couple of different Hypex OEM-based DIY amps in the past few years. In case it isn't clear, yes, I managed to get my hands on some OEM boards (NC500 & OEM buffer board as well as an NC502MP) and built two amps based on...
Top Bottom