Recent content by bribur

1. B

Roon 1.8

1.8 won't even launch for me and I don't have old launchers to go back to 1.7. I posted logs in the support thread as requested by the Roon tech but no response so far after a couple of days. It looks like that's not a common problem but there are a lot of crashes reported and at least 4 no...
  2. B

Did Nvidia just kill the game ?

I also have a 970 and a 7 year old cpu, it will barely run some new stuff, especially MS Flight Simulator. But most of the parts are in for a new mid-tower to run one of these cards. It will be interesting to see some test results from the review sites, I watched the nvidia presentation and...
  3. B

SOLD: Ariel 5r transmission line speakers

Thanks, wish you were closer! No takers. I may have to take myself up on my own offer. :p
  4. B

SOLD: Ariel 5r transmission line speakers

I built these about 20 years ago, they are MTM with dual transmission lines. They still work but have lost the bottom octave and need rebuilding. The VIfa drivers are no longer available so it's really a redesign. The two small boxes are the external x-overs. I'm hoping to find an...
  5. B

How to measure an amplifier

This thread on diyaudio tells how to do distortion measurements with a soundcard and REW: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/338511-howto-distortion-measurements-rew.html
  6. B

DIY while stuck at home

That's a good point regarding the kit amplifier I linked to, there are no test measurements that I know of and it is not the Dynaco circuit, just the basic look and output tubes. At the time I was looking, it seemed to be the best looking kit and he's been doing it a long time. Now I'd want to...
  7. B

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

KEF EGG's are $200 direct from KEF. Not many reviews of these but I'm tempted because I have a small desk and they might fit. 4.25" Uni Q with -6db @ 80hz spec. Seems like a close out price...
  8. B

DIY while stuck at home

The St-70 kit I was thinking about is in the link in my first post, I still think it would be fun but don't really need it. I designed my own subs, originally to be ported, then passive radiator but ended up closed box. They are 12" Acoustic Elegance drivers in 2 ft2 boxes with hypex plate...
  9. B

Taking actionable measurements

I'm also new to REW but with pink noise I saw a downward slope when the mode in settings was set to spectrum. 1/48 RTA gives a straight line.
  10. B

DIY while stuck at home

Subs are a great project, you can design them to fit your room, they model well and they're hard to screw up, especially closed box. I think they are a case where good drivers in a well made box of the correct size will work well without much fuss. Some are built in a weekend but I spent a few...
  11. B

"Smart" power-on options for high WAF

I have home automation with a hub to control wall switches and sockets. The main speaker power amp is in one smart socket and a Minidsp shd and main speaker dac in another. Subs go into standby automatically based on signal. I mainly turn it on and off with voice commands using an Amazon echo...
  12. B

Do "audio enthusiasts" like many of us here at ASR consider audio to be a hobby?

It's a hobby, I like the diy aspect. Building speakers especially combines with woodworking which I also enjoy. And I like messing with electronics, I started with Dynaco and Hafler kits then rebuilt a Citation II a few years ago. Listening groups 2 and 3, with more 3 lately trying to...
  13. B

ESI U24XL or NUC with SPDIF Input as MiniDSP SHD Alternative

Hi, first posting on ASR, great site. I have the SHD as well based on the review here. It works very well and I do have Dirac 2.0 running on it with no issues but I installed it from day one, maybe there are issues with going from version 1 to 2. Only issue I had was trying to use the...
Top Bottom