Recent content by bpb

1. B

Need some tips on cheap acoustic treatment

Lots of good science based advice here: https://www.youtube.com/@AcousticsInsider/videos Focused on professionals / home studios. I've had really good results from following his guidance.
  2. B

Massive bass reverberation

I've had quite a bit of success with room treatments from following the guidance at acousticinsider.com. You could check out videos such as this - The over-simplified summary seems to be to add as much absorption material as the room (and aesthetics) will allow! I think Jesco at...
  3. B

Naim Uniti Atom Review (Streamer & Amp)

Yes, fully agree - the Atom is a lifestyle product and I wouldn't expect it to measure SOTA. But.... equally, I wouldn't expect it to be in the bottom quartile given the price and brand heritage.
  4. B

Yes, I absolutely agree - I love the design of the Atom and it's a pleasure to use, which is why I bought it originally. It's just disappointing that, at this price point and with the Naim brand behind it, it actually performs poorly. For me, it also undermines their other products. The Atom...
  5. B

A very interesting, and disappointing, result. As others have said, Naim is quite a revered brand in the UK and has a strong reputation (via What HiFi et al) for its streamers. I started by HiFi journey with an Atom a few years ago. I quickly started looking at upgrades and tried the £2,500...
  6. B

$250 vs $950 vacuum record cleaning system comparison

I think it's great to see someone talking about record cleaning and showing some actual evidence using the microscope. There seems to be a lot of advice around on what contaminants effect vinyl records (e.g. "oils", "debris", "particles", etc), as well as the best cleaning methods and cleaning...
  7. B

Advice on acoustic room treatments for home hifi

I would definitely recommend measuring your room with a UMIK-1 and REW (and agree with the point on speaker positioning). I got a UMIK-1 recently and it gives you hard data on problem areas and whether you've managed to address them. From what I've learnt, the exact type and positioning of...
  8. B

Snake Oil Department, Top This

This review of a USB cable (that retails for £700) caught my eye: "Electrical noise on the mains and in the atmosphere is largely responsible for the cold, edgy sound found with digital components, and the more noise that is blocked out, the more natural the sound." From www.the-ear.net Eh...
  9. B

Comparing a £5,500 Naim NDX 2 to a £300 Topping D30 pro

Firstly, I wanted to say a huge ‘thank you’ to the ASR community. Finding this forum has been hugely educational and has radically improved my understanding of HiFI technology and the industry. I thought I’d briefly share my experience comparing a ‘high end’ DAC/streamer with a ‘budget’ DAC...
Top Bottom