Recent content by Bouly

1. B

Has anyone tried using a multichannel DAC like the Okto Dac8 Pro or the Topping DM7 to play Dolby TrueHD from VLC ?

From the reports I'm seeing here, this Pavel guy from Okto seems like a great engineer but not so great business manager. It looks like he has created a good product with pent up demand for it, but is unable to scale his business operation to meet the demand. The total lack of support sounds...
  2. B

Has anyone tried using a multichannel DAC like the Okto Dac8 Pro or the Topping DM7 to play Dolby TrueHD from VLC ?

Awesome! That sounds like a great all-in-one setup. Why are you switching to the DM7 if I may ask ?
  3. B

Okto DAC8 Pro - open to new orders

That's interesting. I don't have a lot of space so my audio listening setup is the same as my home theater setup. Can you play for example a ripped blu ray as an mkv file from your computer, for example with VLC, and output a lossless Dolby True HD track towards the Okto Dac8 Pro to get 5.1...
  4. B

Since I don't have a big flat, I'm thinking of combining my music listening setup and my home theater setup into one. To save physical space, I store blu-rays on a 8 TB hard drive. My question is, can I use VLC or some other software that can be installed on a computer, to direct the TrueHD...
  5. B

Westone Pro X30 and X50 IEMs subjective impressions and comparison

A few years ago, I had a Westone UM Pro 50, and I really liked the sound it was giving. I used it mostly to play CD quality FLAC files from the FLAC Player app on an iPhone 6S. When it broke after 3 years of intense use, I wanted to buy it again, which is the first time this has happened to me...
  6. B

Which audio setup will minimize listening fatigue ?

A quick update: I've been listening to the RME DAC through XLR for the past month or so. Listening fatigue seems to not be an issue anymore. I put the DAC level to roughly between -30 and -35 dB depending on source level. Windows level at 100. No issue on Mac. When doing blind tests comparing...
  7. B

Ground loop issues from computer audio

Yes in the end I got an RME ADI-2 DAC. It solves the ground loop issue and the sound quality is better than before. However it is taking me time to get used to the new sound and I got some listening fatigue troubles
  8. B

Yes the nice thing with the active speakers is that I just plug rca cables in them, and then with an RCA -> jack adapter, I can plug them into my phone or my laptop directly. But usually I connected them to my sound card directly with RCA and no adapters. The sound quality is great when playing...
  9. B

yes Auto Ref is on. Maybe I could try reducing the highs, but is it better to do it using the knob on the speaker or through the DAC's DSPs ? To be honest its quite confusing because most things can be set either in Foobar or on the DAC or on the speaker (especially the volume, and treble, bass...
  10. B

I've been listening to these monitors for about 5 years and have not had this kind of issue. Eris E8 is an affordable monitor with great sound quality and power. At the moment the only thing I have changed in my setup is to use the ADI-2's RCA output instead of Asus STX's RCA output. You hit...
  11. B

actually that's a good idea. I will try with the headphones to see if I still have the issue. This will allow me to isolate if it comes from the DAC. I mean it comes either from the DAC or from the DAC - speakers combination because before with the asus sound card I did not have that issue.
  12. B

It seems like the listening fatigue issue is mostly resolved. I think the solution was mostly to adjust the input gain on the speakers (setting it close to minimum), and maybe switching to RCA cables helped. If I would switch to amp + passive speakers or to a different set of speakers it would...
  13. B

Does it make any difference with regards to sound quality if I use XLR vs RCA ? I thought the whole point of using XLR is to have the 3 wires for ground, + and - , so modding the cable to remove one seems like defeating the purpose.
  14. B

On page 7 of the manual there is a warning against using XLR with unbalanced equipment. And advising to keep the third XLR pin unconnected. I dont know how to tell if the Eris E8 are unbalanced and not sure how I can disconnect one pin from the XLR cable. But I tried not using XLR, replacing the...
  15. B

For the volume what I ended up doing : - turn speakers off and set the input gain knob on the back of the speakers to minimum - set Windows and Foobar volume to 100% - set DAC volume to -9 Db - start playing a song - turn speakers back up, and turn the input gain knob on the speakers back up...
Top Bottom