Recent content by boogeroo

1. B

DIY shoeboxes with drivers + external amp and active xover?

Yes, i don't really have a design goal other than to get 2 boxes making some coherent sound. I'm a software dev by trade and I'm looking at this project as a hello-world of sorts, mating drivers to a box, using 3rd-party xovers+amps, make some noise. I know far too little to know what i need...
  2. B

Wow that Focal clone looks like the real deal, way out of my skill level lol, I'm for now small animal coffin maker level. Okay I think i understand the point about inter driver distance, its a function of the xover point and distance between driver. Alright sounds like a fun little project...
  3. B

I'm interested in building my own speakers but lack wood working experience, I do know which end of a saw to point forward, and I'm fairly confident in making smallish squarish boxes. With that in mind I wonder if copying Wilson Audio's would be a good place to start? I hate throw-away work, so...
  4. B

Cause of Listening Fatigue?

i find i have eye reading or vision fatigue as well, not just words but images, up to a certain point of doom scrolling i get tired and nauseated and have to close my eyes a bit. Perhaps the same with listening fatigue, the neurons in the retinas/ears/brain probably has a finite capacity to...
  5. B

my speaker, room or ears suck for 'depth'

I was thinking about that, I have a fair understanding on how triangulation work with signals, with 3 omni directional mics you can pinpoint a vector towards the sound within a hemisphere(ignoring the mirror plane) around the 3 mics for wavelengths that are smaller than the distance between the...
  6. B

I didn't know room eq has down sides, I'm assuming its a function of the aggressiveness of the eq'ing? i.e if the FR is relatively flat, mild eq = less detrimental; and if FR is all over, steep/complex eq = more detrimental?
  7. B

yeah, too many compromises. I figured there's a bunch of things i can do now that won't be throw away work, mainly the room eq, room measurements, small adjustments. As for the long term solution, i'll just wait till i can get a dedicated room. Its good to set the expectations....that way i...
  8. B

I think for now I'll go the room eq route, minor placement tweaks and plan for a dedicated room in the future. I think adding more room treatment would get pushback from the wifey and would still end up a compromise. I see...that's an interesting direction to fixing an undesirable listening...
  9. B

I think for now I can play with toe-in and perhaps pull it out a little forward from the console. As someone else mentioned in the thread, too much compromises in my listening area for good stereo. I think i'll go for room correction and call it a day, perhaps one day if i have a bigger house...
  10. B

I assume REW + calibrated mic can do this?
  11. B

You're right, reorienting the listening area is a no go because the fronts also double up for the HT duty, and that has to go on either side of the telly. I'm going towards DIRAC on my PC for room eq, since my source is from PC and I want to use the external DAC. I think DIRAC on receiver would...
  12. B

Thanks, that's an interesting track. Sadly not much depth, it feels pretty wide, but depth maybe 3 feet deep? I think i'll find some time to setup a near field listening space away from walls and calibrate my ears using the test track to get a sense of what proper depth sounds like...
  13. B

Hmm i've never tried crossing them in front of my head, i'll give it a go when doing my tests.
  14. B

I want to listen to the depth in the recording, as little of the room as possible. Yeah i think i'll find some time to get a near field experience, pull speakers towards me, pull my sitting position away from the walls, like several people suggested. I"ll do this to get a 'reference'...
  15. B

i'll try to find some time for this, common use area and kids running about, even if I do get a good setup i doubt i can leave it there for good because of safety and all that...wished i had a spare room
Top Bottom