Recent content by blse59

1. B

New product - SMSL AO300

Woah, this is amazing! Why didn't they put this in the instruction manual? This forum is invaluable. :)
  2. B

New product - SMSL AO300

Some things I'd like in a firmware update: - The ability to wake it up from standby by turning the knob or pushing in the button. I don't like having to find or reach for the remote to take it out of standby. - Ability to see what firmware is installed on device. edit: Also maybe the ability...
  3. B

New product - SMSL AO300

It's Samsung. It's an entry level model though which is why I wasn't sure if the HDMI arc issue is due to the tv not supporting it or if it's a firmware issue with the AO300.
  4. B

New product - SMSL AO300

Which has better audio quality, optical or hdmi arc? Currently using optical out on tv and the sound is good enough to me. No luck getting hdmi arc output to work yet. Either my tv doesn't support it or the firmware update affected it somehow.
  5. B

New product - SMSL AO300

I wonder if you followed the instructions on page 6 starting with step 5? You have to select the COM port in the dropdown box. It worked for me and I never installed the driver.
  6. B

New product - SMSL AO300

You do not need to have the driver installed. You can go straight to updating the firmware. I would say the biggest strike against this device is you do need to update the firmware. I had problems with Youtube videos freezing. I thought it was my net connection but it turns out it was the AO300...
  7. B

New product - SMSL AO300

Ah I see. I haven't experimented with balanced yet so I don't now the kind of stuff they go through. But if it's as simple as plugging on an adapter I'm still not sure that 4.4mm jack is needed. I checked on Amazon and those adapters seem to average around $20-$40 so I guess it saves the user...
  8. B

New product - SMSL AO300

Really liking this box. Sound to bookshelf speakers is clear and powerful. Same with headphones. Can't say I'm a fan of the 4.4mm jack. It's not a balanced output so what's the point? Would have rather kept the design of the unit minimalist and optimized. Hopefully somebody will send a unit to...
  9. B

Sony SS-CS5 3-way Speaker Review

These speakeds have gotten stellar reviews literally everywhere except this website. I ordered a pair to see for myself and to try out the new SMSL amplifier I got.
  10. B

New product - SMSL AO300

Really loving this. Just to be clear, in the EQ settings 'direct' means no EQ is applied right?
  11. B

Review and Measurements of Fiio K5 Pro

Yeah, IMO this is still the best value one-stop desktop amp/dac solution for the everyday layperson.
  12. B

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

The fact that the volume level resets itself when you unplug/replug it makes it a no for me. My trusty Tempotec Sonata HD remembers volume levels. I was on the lookout for a better measuring dongle, but Tempotec seems to have gotten it right with the Sonata.
  13. B

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Just got a DT770 which I have been enjoying for a week. Now I see what the fuss is about and why this headphone has endured. It's hard to believe this level of sound quality existed in the 80s. But the sources back then were crap so people didn't get the full potential.
  14. B

Have to praise Etymotic ER-3/4, but they are harder and harder to get ...

ER4XR is my favorite in the series. All of the Etymotic ER series earphones are good. It feels like sound being piped directly to your brain. If it were my job to analyze a sound recording these would be my first choice.
  15. B

TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro Portable DAC & Amp Review

Still rocking the original Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. Super great hassle free dongle. The only thing I don't like about it is that braided cord it comes with which provides a finicky connection if you move it around a bit. I replaced it with a sturdy Amazon Basics cable and all is well.
Top Bottom