Recent content by bloomdido

1. B

Audio plugins, DSP software that imitates the sound character of some Reel-to-Reel Tape Recorders

There's a current hype around "spectral" processing i.e. getting frequencies over time with FFT, applying changes in frequency domain with some complex (or not so complex) algorithm and then rebuilding the sound back to regular audio. As such manipulation is now much more available due to more...
  2. B

Yamaha HS8 MP vs Kali IN-8 2nd Wave vs Focal Alpha 80 vs Dynaudio LYD-8

I'd recommend changing the title of the thread if possible mentioning model names to attract owners who'd share their experience.
  3. B

Yamaha HS8 MP vs Kali IN-8 2nd Wave vs Focal Alpha 80 vs Dynaudio LYD-8

Didn't hear any of the mentioned models but taking into account Erin singing praise in his review and also that you yourself seem to incline towards Kalis already I'd go for them. I don't think you will be disappointed. Kalis and similar monitors seem to be probably the best use of those $1000...
  4. B

Subwoofers make all big speakers obsolete?

Have you also "experienced" the influence of power cables on sound?
  5. B

Subwoofers make all big speakers obsolete?

First, not everyone is very much interested in precise localization of the sounds. We rarely have pure 150 Hz sounds, usually they have some harmonics which play much greater role in localization of sounds. So no need to put single sub exactly at the center. Also, one can use 2 subwoofers...
  6. B

Sabaj A30a announced

Just to think of how cool this product would be if it allowed to mess up with its DSP's biquads to set up some parametric EQ - through USB connection or web app or phone app etc. Has anyone heard of such amps on the market? Except for solutions like Hypex FusionAmp and the like.
  7. B

Sabaj A30a announced

It is definitely not a speciality on the Chinese market. For example the Cambridge "5 stars on WhatHiFi" CXA60 also has LPF on sub out but no HPF for main speaker cirquits. I guess the idea is you tune your sub to play up to the frequency when your main speakers start to rapidly roll off in...
  8. B

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

I'm not even sure I've ever seen a passive sub sold by any brand. But DIY hobbyists build passive subs quite often (one of the simpler projects one could do in audio DIY) and for them such an amp makes perfect sense, I was searching for such amp to use a passive DIY subwoofer built by my father.
  9. B

In the cases I mentioned LPF is clearly present: Cambridge CXA80: LPF for mono sub out - stated in documentation (200 Hz cutoff) and confirmed by myself but no HPF applied for main speaker outputs/preamp cirquit/whatever. Aiyima: has both sub frequency and sub volume knobs but I'm not sure HPF...
  10. B

Power upgrade ???

But is that some more ot less hard clipping threshold or is it like having some increased distortion at 40 dB gain, some more (probably audible) at 80 dB gain and a lot of distortion at 100 dB gain? I understand it could be different for different amps but let's narrow amp designs range to...
  11. B

When I ordered it I was sort of sure it had because the model is so clearly for 2.1 applications. But after reading this thread and recollecting one of the amps I used before (Cambridge CXA80) had low pass to mono sub out only I realized I should not be so sure. This Aiyima is stuck in shipping...
  12. B

Power upgrade ???

I'm a bit confused - OP is advised that if there's no clipping with his current setup and he likes the sound he shouldn't search for a better amp - but is all that idea of "amp headroom" (meaning that an amp with more power is likely to sound better even when listened at minimal volume) complete...
  13. B

I'm a bit late to this thread and am really surprised such a natural request - have some box that will drive speakers (mass product category, lots of options large and small, cheap and expensive) and also send mono signal to a powered sub (mass product category again with lots of options) and do...
  14. B

linkwitz lxmini

Those measurements will simply not show much about what's so "special" about this speaker besides what's already written by Linkwitz himself when he explained the rationale behind this design.
  15. B

linkwitz lxmini

Well, Linkwitz himself has written quite a bit on the theory behind LXMini and I'm not sure Amir's testing technique can reveal much in this case and it's very likely the measurements will describe it as just one more high quality speaker.
Top Bottom