Recent content by Blake Klondike

1. B

how to ship Mcintosh tube pre-amp, amplifier and clearaudio turntable?

I just inherited a Mcintosh tube pre-amp and tube amp from the early-mid 70s, as well as a Clearaudio Emotion SE turntable. The t/t is in original box but the amp/pre-amp are not in boxes. They need to get from Omaha, NE to Boston, MA in the US. Does anyone have suggestions about how to...
  2. B

Genelec 8010A Powered Studio Monitor Review

what would you say about 8020s? I have a pair that I really like but think they need a sub, which I haven't picked up yet.
  3. B

Favorite IEMs? Can they compete with HD800?

Was just wondering if there are any convertees to IEMs after coming from the world of over-ears, like HD800. Does anybody have any favorites they can recommend that might compare with high-end over-ears? Or is the technology just not there yet? Or is it impossible without the larger...
  4. B

small form-factor combination DAC AMP for bedside use with HD800s

Thank you! This is a huge help! The presence of the crossover and EQ are a great plus too. Just one more question, if you dont mind-- Do you have any thoughts about how I would find out if that unit will drive my HD800s, and Hifiman Edition X well? I don't understand those specs and I...
  5. B

good questions, thanks! i would be using an android phone with usb-c and i can go either way re: battery vs. wall-powered. does that make a difference?
  6. B

I am looking for a small form-factor combination DAC AMP for bedside use with HD800s, and Hifiman Edition X. Having trouble knowing which units will drive these headphones well, but assuming that all DAC functionality will be audibly transparent. Can anyone recommend any models I might...
  7. B

High-quality wireless in-ears? Noise cancelling a plus!

Ha-- thanks! I looked but I didn't see that! Do you feel like there would be any synergy between the samsung galaxy buds and a samsung galaxy phone? btw, who's your profile picture?
  8. B

High-quality wireless in-ears? Noise cancelling a plus!

Not sure if this exact question has been covered, but I am looking for a genuinely hi-fi pair of wireless earbuds. Do they exist? Do any of the also offer noise-cancellation? Thanks so much!
  9. B

Topping RD3 TP Balanced DAC Review

Do they offer a rack-mounted headphone amp to pair with this? That would be a cool system! If so, how would you connect the two?
  10. B

Closed-back headphone recommendation

I have a student who just had a heart attack and is looking for a good pair of closed-back headphones for listening during his convalescence. He's coming from the Bose world. Can anyone recommend a $2-400 pair? Thanks!
  11. B

Amazon Music Hi-Def vs FLAC?

Happy Holidays to everyone! Just listened to Dark Side Of The Moon on Amazon Music and then FLAC and found the FLAC to be noticeably better-sounding. Definition on spoken word parts much clearer, better instrument separation, kick drum sounded tighter, etc. That put me back to listening...
  12. B

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

This is great to see. Thanks so much for all you do! Quick question re: hard-to-drive headphones like the Stealth: If you can get them to play through an amp to the volume you like to listen to, are you necessarily hearing the best the phones have to offer? Is it possible to reach...
  13. B

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Very cool! Does this do room correction, as well?
  14. B

when i pause amazon music, sound won't come back on

just a quick question: when i listen to amazon music on pc the sound cuts out when i pause or rewind; meters still moving but have to restart to get sound to come out again. looking online the explanation seems to be "amazon music's app sucks" and the solution is "use spotify". anyone...
  15. B

How many pairs of headphones do you need to cover all situations?

Thanks! What makes them stand apart as a good choice?
Top Bottom