Recent content by Bjorn

1. Bjorn

Audio Note speakers

While I understand your point, I don't see the example with Sound Lab or Quad are good examples here. Especially big Sound Labs electrostatics measure very well and much than Revel in certain important areas. I think if people believe Revel is a much better speaker from objective data, they are...
  2. Bjorn

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

They (SydAudCon and Don Davis) also conducted blind tests and AB comparisons FIY. But this is really off-topic. If you see no benefit in a speaker that avoids and minimizes reflections from ceiling and floor we are basically worlds from each other in opinions. And why then the interest in a...
  3. Bjorn

The researchers of LEDE designs and other other acoustic principles aren't out there. They were posted as new letters in the 70s and 80s. So I can't link to something that isn't available. But you can find snippets from it and some AES papers. Search for Don Davis and LEDE. And Bech studies are...
  4. Bjorn

If the cancellation is deep and broad enough, and which it can be in several cases, that's pretty clear. It can completely render a netrual presentation and the result is a very lean sound with too much emphasis of the upper frequencies. Of course, if it's broad and deep enough. Whether it is...
  5. Bjorn

I have read Bech's studies. But it's not the only study that indicate the early arriving reflections from ceiling and floor are detrimental. It was well established in studies when acoustic principles were delveoped. But these studies isn't something you can find online. There's also a...
  6. Bjorn

Audio Note speakers

A well designed corner loaded horn speaker makes a lot of sense. But a corner loaded front firing speaker with wide dispersion leads to high gain early reflections which are very bad.
  7. Bjorn

Audio Note speakers

Audio Note speakers are very midrange focused in their tuning, something that can be very intriguing with some music. I used to have a pair but ended up only listening to certain types of music. So I sold them within a year or so and with speakers that were more neutral tuned and that worked...
  8. Bjorn

The horizontal dispersion is also very limited. So it will not work well as center much to the sides. And with such a placement, you end up with a potential severe floor bounce besides lots of high gain vertical reflections. Also much lower sensitive compared to a ground plane CBT. But it looks...
  9. Bjorn

Don is doing fine. But he at an age where he prioritize other things than audio now. He's a very social person and loves to talk and interact with people. That's his joy.
  10. Bjorn

There are no researchers that show that very early reflections are beneficial, and which they are vertically in a normal small room. And no studies that show the vertical reflections are positive in any way. We only have studies that show they have a negtive impact on the sound quality. To me...
  11. Bjorn

I'm well aware of the Monte's center speaker and he isn't a collegaue of Don FIY. But his brother was for a time. Who wants very wide vertical dispersion with a lot of vertical reflections and very narrow horizontal dispersion? Besides, by layng the speaker down like that it doesn't act like a...
  12. Bjorn

It's well know that vertical reflections only are negative. And a uniform directivity will lead to a room energy that's closer to the direct signal. But if you treat the room considerably, obviously things changes.
  13. Bjorn

I believe it's clear that we want a narrow vertical directivity in order to minimize detrimental ceiling and floor reflections. Ideally down to Schroeder. Horizontally, your mileage may vary depending on room, acoustics, usage and taste. But generally I believe a uniform horizontal directivity...
  14. Bjorn

There is no horizontal lobing with the CBT36. Spacing and crossover avoids that. In most small rooms, the vertical directivity is generally more important than the horizontal and as shown in the studies of Bech. But a well designed CBT will not have horizontal lobing and a generally very...
  15. Bjorn

There exist both ground plane CBTs and "non ground plane" (free standing CBT) like the JBL CBT speakers. Two different designs. Constant beamwidth transducer (CBT) speaks of both the horizontal and vertical directivity. The horizontal directivity will depend on the drivers, placement of the...
Top Bottom