Recent content by Bjorn

1. Bjorn

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

You could use Jriver Media Center which has the possibility of crossover, delay, shelving, PEQs and can also do home theater processing. JRiver can also use a plugin from someone that offers FIR filters or something more advanced. It's not the easiest to set up and even more challenging to...
  2. Bjorn

Anybody Out There Who Hears a Difference Between 320 kbps MP3 and Red Book CD? What Differences Do You Hear?

Helps some, but there are likely still a lot of high gain specular energy and low frequency decay and resonances that hinders you from hearing the recorded signal with accuracy.
  3. Bjorn

Anybody Out There Who Hears a Difference Between 320 kbps MP3 and Red Book CD? What Differences Do You Hear?

While the speakers obviously matters, the room and acoustics generally have much more impact on areas like clarity and resolution. You have to deal with specular reflections and room modes if one wants to hear details well. The lateral Toole approach with active side wall contribution that is...
  4. Bjorn

JBL CBT 70J-1 Review (Constant Beam Transducer)

I can show measurements of the CBT36 with different positions if you'd like. Let me know which measurements you want to see, and I'll post them in the thread below since it's off-topic here...
  5. Bjorn

It's not the highest frequencies that radiate backwards. It happens lower in frequency even with a narrow CBT like the JBL here. Besides, these drivers actually do beam. It's only CBT36 of the CBTs that's been sold that's is capable of maintaining the directivity to the highest frequencies, but...
  6. Bjorn

Take note that a CBT doesn't has to be designed to be wide horizontally. So we can't make general rules, it will depend. One could design a CBT with super narrow horizontal dispersion. I agree that a rug in front of speakers often improves compared to a reflective floor and it minimizes flutter...
  7. Bjorn

Why does a ground plane CBT speaker cause a particular strong backward radiation? Both the free standing and the ground plane CBT speaker has a baffle step like other speakers and depended on the baffle size, but with a line array it's different than traditional speakers and actually happens...
  8. Bjorn

I didn't say specifically for home theater. The version we're working on is a high-end CBT speaker. While it certainly can be used for home theater, I assume it will have a bigger market towards audiophiles and stereo. More information will come in a different thread.
  9. Bjorn

Perhaps my english was unclear. I still meant on the wall but all the way up towards the ceiling. If the height is sufficient of the CBT, it will also end being in more or less at the perfect height in regards to the surround standard. If the was placed on the ceiling itself pointing downwards...
  10. Bjorn

Toole doesn't say anything about not using CBT speakers in general as LRC. Why would he do that when a well designed ground plane CBT measures generally much more even placed in the room compared to the most expensive Harman's speakers and has lower distortion as well? He talks specifically...
  11. Bjorn

With a room like that I would have personally chosen speakers with super narrow horizontal dispersion (preferably narrow vertically too) and treated the rear wall with absorption behind the head.
  12. Bjorn

The presentation also shows that a circular or bent CBT is free lunch compared to a straight line array with delay from DSP/amps. The latter can achieve almost the same result, but brings up the cost considerably. Personally I think the curved speaker also look much better, but I know other...
  13. Bjorn

A "coaxial" design like the JBL CBT will struggle with diffraction issues. You don't see a similar unevenness from a traditional CBT.
  14. Bjorn

It may be worth mentioning that the CBT only has a wide dispersion at a certain height. Above and below that window, the dispersion is actually narrow. The horizontal directivity of "traditional" CBT speakers will vary quite a bit and depends on the design. I think many tend to disregard the...
Top Bottom