Recent content by BJL

1. B

Pioneer VSX-LX505 AVR Review

I must have lost track of the subject matter, but if this refers to the LX505, this is an error, the LX505 has pre-outs for 7.1.4 channels. If the subject matter somehow changed along the way, please ignore!
  2. B

Show us your Cars

It's not a 12 volt battery any longer. It is a 16 volt Lithium Ion battery. If I have to replace it, so be it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts the life of the car.
  3. B

Show us your Cars

Tesla has a setting "Chill" that throttles down the torque to a civilized level making it easy to drive in local traffic and perfectly acceptable on the highway. On my particular car (a dual motor Y) that means 0-60 mph in about 7 seconds vs. 4.5 seconds in the standard setting, but more to the...
  4. B

When setting the preset with the app: 1. The preset will capture all parameters including the input source when setting the preset. 2. Yes. 3. On the app, no. You have to first power the unit. On the remote, I don't know, I never used it.
  5. B

Tesla video about their audio engineering

Mostly agree with the above. Certainly the best OEM car sound system I've had. They seem to use some version of the old equal loudness curve, which has the effect of nice sound quality whether playing softer or louder, something that I appreciate as I prefer moderate listening levels when...
  6. B

Poll: How do you primarily listen to audio at home?

I don't know how to rip SACD's, but certainly scanning the liner notes to read on screen is an excellent approach; I've been too lazy for that, but perhaps instead of complaining . . . This reminds me that the quad albums released by Jethro Tull (and one unreleased quad version) have been...
  7. B

Poll: How do you primarily listen to audio at home?

Other great quad reissues available from Dutton Vocalion in the UK, carefully mastered from the original quad masters, all are SACD. The packaging is basic (jewel case with mediocre reproductions of original liner notes, easily read with a microscope), but wonderful audio quality...
  8. B

I have used my LX505 as a processor in a 7.1.4 set up and found it works very well. The Dirac license is full range and it works especially well from a laptop or desktop computer. There is a remote app for iPhone (maybe also Android?) that is regularly updated and quite handy. The only...
  9. B

Pioneer VSX-LX505 (with Dirac) Unboxing and Overview

I see the confusion on this point. The Pioneer does NOT support Dirac Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC). Thus bass management is handled by the AVR, not Dirac. On the Pioneer, Dirac is providing EQ, levels relative to the other speakers, and timing/impulse control. For myself, I only use the sub...
  10. B

I have found that subwoofer integration using Dirac on the Pioneer is excellent. It sets the sub level precisely.
  11. B

Dirac sets timing and relative levels between sets of speakers (in a multichannel system), as well as EQ and impulse response.
  12. B

Dirac Live not starting, only gray screen

Did you try opening a ticket with Dirac support? I have found them to be responsive and generally prompt.
  13. B

Dolby Atmos speakers placed as front height, how many of you?

Dolby has published detailed specifications describing recommended configurations for most all consumer applications: https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/technologies/dolby-atmos/atmos-installation-guidelines-121318_r3.1.pdf My last set up was 7.1.4 using top rear and top front. I am interested...
  14. B

Recordable CDs - HELP!

I've had consistently good results using Taiyo Yuden/JVC CDR's, the company (in Japan) ceased manufacturing optical media, and licensed their technology to CMC Pro (Taiwan), and I've found those to be as good as the original JVC media. They are somewhat more expensive than other brands (but are...
  15. B

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV)

I noticed that this (and the previous two seasons) are available on 4K UHD discs. I wondered if anyone has seen the 4K versions and might know how the audio and video quality compares with the Blu Ray. I was about to purchase seasons 1&2, and cannot decide between the UHD and blu ray.
Top Bottom