Recent content by Bernard23

1. Bernard23

Denon PMA-600NE Integrated Amplifier Review

How do they tune them differently, and to what target?
  2. Bernard23

Denon PMA-600NE Integrated Amplifier Review

I thought the Denon sounded ok too with Elacs, but found the Yamaha sounded better (the one that I kept). Isn't the Marantz practically the same amp as the Denon?
  3. Bernard23

Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Stage Review (Updated)

Bought a duo on the strength of the data, can't be sure it sounds any better than the stage in my Yamaha A-S501, but about to waste even more cash in pursuit of nostalgia on a new cart so figured this would be a bit of future proofing and opening up MC as an option. I'm intrigued by alternative...
  4. Bernard23

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

Without investing in a separate phone amp and cutting the leads to a short length, that's not possible. It's not a financial investment I want to make anyway. I have thought about carts that are designed to work into higher capacitance loading, e.g. Shure M95, ortofon black.
  5. Bernard23

Actually, the question I posed earlier is what can we deduce from this database such that we can make informed choices and less random choices based on subjective reviews. For me, I'm interested in better understanding of whether the AT 540ML performs better than my technics 270C? I can see from...
  6. Bernard23

Agreed, and therein lies the challenge. I can't practically alter the load, and you're right, it's something of a lottery. However, info such as this thread help make it less of a roll of a dice. The plots from the 95ML are consistent with what I was hearing compared to the plots of the...
  7. Bernard23

Tbh, the challenge / fun part is trying to correlate the measurement data to what I remember hearing.
  8. Bernard23

Yes, it's really difficult to make any comparison subjectively. I tried to vol match using a dB meter handheld but I suspect the uncertainty error was pretty significant
  9. Bernard23

Yes, it's really difficult to make any comparison subjectively. I tried to vol match using a dB meter handheld but I suspect the uncertainty error was quite large.
  10. Bernard23

My hearing rolls off at 13kHz so that HF peak won't be obvious to my ears. Interesting review, I liked the 2400 but it wasn't worth the extra cost over the 270C for me. Its possible that it's pointless investing in anything better specced as I simply won't benefit from it.
  11. Bernard23

Yes, that seems to be the case. Hence my reluctance to rush out and get one.
  12. Bernard23

None, I've got no measurement tools. I can only make subjective comparisons. All I could do is rotate the various carts I had using same recordings and either feel excited or underwhelmed!
  13. Bernard23

Compared to Technics 270C / Nag G28, and to a Goldring 2400. Maybe I was expecting a significant step up over the 270, but it wasn't, didn't seem to punch as hard. Loading was whatever the phone leads are plus the 220pF / 47K of my Yamaha phono stage. The caveat is of course my room/system. Elac...
  14. Bernard23

Skimmed through all 48 pages and couldn't reach a conclusion to the vexing question I have, that is whether the invest in a SAS Boron for the 270C, or stick a 540ML on and be done. I wasn't a fan of the 95ML, sounded dull in comparison in my system and room. I was also thinking about trying the...
  15. Bernard23

Agree, I'm also not surprised it measures well as it sounds good. I'm using a Nagaoka G28 replacement stylus on mine, I have no info on the diamond shape and cant look it, but I suspect the same profile as the original 270ED given that Nagaoka made the 270 for Technics. I have also tried the...
Top Bottom