Recent content by BenB

1. BenB

Help me understand this crossover

To answer the question posed by the diagram, "NO". The proposed series 0.5-way circuit doesn't work. Both of those woofers will have the same current pass through them, and thus they will behave identically.
  2. BenB

Rauna Freja Vintage 2-Way Loudspeaker Measurements

I propose plugging the problematic port to improve performance. The paucity of perceptible bass production paired with passband impurities compels us to dispose of the displeasure provided by the pesky port.
  3. BenB

Semi classic 3-way with AMT (off-axis measurements included)

Nice project. Thanks for sharing. Any reason the mid is more offset horizontally than the tweeter is?
  4. BenB

sphere shaped speakers

I don't like the idea of porting speakers at frequencies much above 50 Hz. Although you lower excursion near the porting frequency, excursion increases very rapidly below tuning. 40 Hz content is often the most demanding from an excursion perspective, since it's often recorded with high volume...
  5. BenB

Properties of speakers that creates a large and precise soundstage

A single driver is not a point source. A point source has a negligible extent. While the ear is most sensitive in the midrange and lower treble from a magnitude perspective, the phase distortions caused by crossovers in that range are imperceptible to humans. It's at lower frequencies (80-500...
  6. BenB

Salesman Talk

I agree that many expensive speakers aren't nearly as good as they ought to be. In fact, once you spend above about 3-4 grand on a speaker, there's probably an inverse correlation between price and performance. I think in that space, many are selling exclusivity more than anything else. In...
  7. BenB

Salesman Talk

Do the people on this forum really not have the experience of a high end system revealing flaws with a recording that weren't noticeable on a lesser system? I do feel that sometimes those flaws end up being less forgivable than the issues with the lesser system that covered them up. As a...
  8. BenB

Mid/Side method for recording, mixing and mastering, and playback.

I'm curious how you tested the software. From my reading, it sounds like Dolby was concerned mostly with placing sounds that were happening in isolation. For example, it would do a good job with a conversation between two people, one in the center and one on the right. Each person takes their...
  9. BenB

The software I created in matlab (actually octave since matlab is expensive) doesn't run in realtime, and I haven't given any thoughts to a realtime implementation, until now. I could probably tweak it in a way that wouldn't hurt performance and would reduce the computations to be implemented...
  10. BenB

Sounds like we're all set. Would you like to provide a piece of music to separate, or would you like me to pick something? I don't know what kind of music you might have been focusing on... I've been focusing on orchestral recordings.
  11. BenB

My matlab script outputs 4 separate .wav files, which I usually load into audacity to try different level adjustments during the recombination process. I assume you have some type of DAW software, right? I believe Pro Logic decoders work very differently from what I've described, but I don't...
  12. BenB

In Defense of the PanPot

Do you have a link? Your summary honestly sounds backwards to me. If you move off the center line, phase-induced soundstage falls apart more completely than level-induced soundstage. However, off-center listening is not my concern anyway.
  13. BenB

I started with MVDR, then added some extra robustness constraints to get it to behave and do what I want. Adaptive signal processing can sometimes do weird and outlandish things if you don't lock it down a bit...
  14. BenB

I coded up a method to use adaptive signal processing to separate stereo tracks into 4 channels: One for things that are primarily in the left, one for things that are primarily in the right, one for things that are about the same level and phase in both channels, and one for things that are...
  15. BenB

Properties of speakers that creates a large and precise soundstage

I want to point out that there's already a thread about tracks that take advantage of the stereo aspect of sound reproduction particularly well: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/reference-stereo-songs.9380/ It's in the music reviews and discussion section of the website.
Top Bottom