Recent content by BeerBear

1. B

Behringer UMC204 HD Audio Interface Review

I assume that Y-splitter is 2x female TRS. In that case you'd get the Right channel from your synth to both channels on the UMC. In case it's 2x female TS you'd get no sound. I don't think you can damage anything by connecting it that way, but I'd keep the volumes low at first, just in case. The...
  2. B

TS to RCA is easy, there are plenty of adapters and cables like that. TRS to TRS (to one of the inserts) might work, but you'll only get one channel this way.
  3. B

ASIO, WASAPI, Direct Sound... is there any difference in sound quality?

Even if the original signal is under 0 dBFS, converting it to MP3 can make it go above 0.
  4. B

Not TS, because you need to use the RS (ring+sleeve) connection. You can do it with TRS to 2x RCA plugs, using the right channel (red) RCAs. A couple of these would work, for example: Half inserted TS plugs could work too, but it's probably hard to achieve a good connection that way. Apple's...
  5. B

Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB - Tear down, bit of internal analysis and few in-house measurements

IMO that channel imbalance is unacceptable and warrants a replacement. Especially at that price, which is hard to justify regardless... they should have at least used a digital encoder or improved the QC significantly.
  6. B

MP3 decodes (ideally) to floating point audio, which can go way over 0 dBFS. Check out the example from this post (a.mp3). If I use shared mode in foobar2000, I can play that file with no clipping, even at full volume. With exclusive mode it clips, unless I turn down the volume enough. (Some...
  7. B

But with WASAPI Exclusive or ASIO you get hard clipping, which is worse than the limiter.
  8. B

Right, good catch! Maybe someone has an elegant explanation for this behavior... but yeah, it's something to watch out for.
  9. B

@Guilherme : since you asked something about this and I was just testing recently... The main outs actually have a distortion/clipping problem that is not there on the RCA outs. It's easy to hear if you play a 0 dBFS 1kHz tone at full volume. You need to lower the volume in software to about...
  10. B

For those who worry about quality of software volume control

That's good to know. Meanwhile, I realized that I don't need a physical loopback to test this limiter distortion; it can be done with a Wasapi loopback in Reaper or Audacity. Of course, only shared mode can be tested this way. So we can see that the 16 bit file does in fact have some distortion...
  11. B

Just to be sure, I tested with another sound card (Apple dongle). The clipping that I heard at 0 dB is gone. So, indeed, it looks like that was just a problem of the first sound card (Behringer UMC204HD). IIRC, the Behringer even has the output level set to 98% on a fresh install of the driver...
  12. B

That's interesting. I tried to reproduce it with an analog (DA-AD) loopback. On the spectrum analyzer I saw what looked like noise (a couple of extra peaks) from the Windows limiter in shared mode at 0 dB. However, lowering the main Foobar volume to -0.5 dB got rid of it, same as if lowering it...
  13. B

Finally, music we can buy in 768 khz sampling rates.

I think 16bit is good enough or even overkill for most (popular) music. Same for old recordings that come from an analog medium, like tape or vinyl. But if your music has a lot of dynamic range and it has actual music content in the lower bits (rather than just noise), I don't think it's wrong...
  14. B

Why does Bluetooth audio transmission must use compression?

Our hi-fi bubble is not representative of the "real world", so to speak. BT audio has more important problems that need to be addressed first, such as latency. (This is finally getting better now in version 5.2.) And frankly, a decent lossy codec at ~200kbps sounds fine, while being more...
  15. B

CD vs hi-res

The percentage of correct guesses alone isn't enough, because it depends a lot on how many tests you perform. A more useful number is the p-value aka the probability of getting this result by random guessing. In your case (18 out of 25) p=0.0216, which is better than the minimum standard...
Top Bottom