Recent content by BeerBear

1. B

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

You can play a mono signal through the HP out and record it with something that you know has good L-R balance, like Amir did. You don't need expensive gear for that, even a motherboard's line input can be good enough. And you should test at various levels/positions, because an analog pot can...
  2. B

Yeah, in practice I'd rather have with a few dB more noise than channel imbalance, even if it's only 0.5dB. Other parts in the chain, like headphones, have their own imbalance and small differences can add up and become audible. So it's best to keep things under control wherever possible.
  3. B

Shame about that channel imbalance, but very good otherwise.
  4. B

dbx 1231 Graphic EQ Review

You obviously don't spend much time on GearSpace... Good for you! :D
  5. B

dbx 1231 Graphic EQ Review

Good to see some production gear being tested! I agree, but some people strongly believe that hardware has some "magic sound" that can't be reproduced with software... maybe it's the magic of noise, IDK... It would be nice to do some tests of this, as much as it's possible anyway, in a...
  6. B

My Beef with DeaDBeeF (Linux) - Batch Resampling is Incomplete

Reaper has a few different resampling modes, including r8brain free now, which is very good. (It was added some months ago, so maybe you didn't see it.)
  7. B

Beta-test: DeltaWave Null Comparison software

Thanks for the update! One thing I noticed with the DeltaWave recording feature (but also before with MultiTone) is that it needs a higher ASIO buffer size, otherwise the audio starts to pop and crackle. It's a bit more than what I'm used to in DAWs and my PC is relatively new. Maybe the CPU...
  8. B

Can a motherboard output audio @ the 3.5mm jack and the JDS Labs ATOM DAC+ simultaneously?

If by 'simultaneously' you mean playing audio from one app into different soundcards, that's a challenge. Although something like VoiceMeeter might be able to do it. But if you mean playing from different apps, it's not a problem, as long as the app lets you choose the soundcard (this might be...
  9. B

Aliasing, imaging and upsampling a real example.

I'm not so sure about healthy margins, at least for recording at 44.1/48k. Keep in mind that recordings usually get amplified/compressed, and sometimes the pitch gets lowered too, which can make ultrasonics audible. It's probably fine in most cases, but to play it safe it's better to keep the...
  10. B

Bluetooth LE Audio

Yeah, it's an improvement over the existing standard. But the new LC3 codec doesn't look very good in terms of audio quality, so far: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,122575.0.html
  11. B

Aliasing, imaging and upsampling a real example.

Mostly because a steep filter requires more taps and more taps = higher latency (audio delay). That's mathematically/physically unavoidable, from what I've read (but I don't have the required education to explain this). And higher latency is in some cases undesirable, even though it's not really...
  12. B

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Seems reasonable. But bazillion taps is not important, IMO. The difference, if any, should happen with even simple upsampling for a DAC that has really poor filtering and with speakers/headphones that are very sensitive to ultrasonics and with IMD lower in the spectrum... All of this coupled...
  13. B

After a quick try... nope, I can't. But I also can't entirely eliminate the possibility that it might be possible for some people in some cases (speaking of upsampling in general, involving all kinds of audio gear and poor filters...). I would not recommend buying any gear without some solid...
  14. B

The difference is there. You can also see it in this review. But the real question is whether it provides an audible improvement or not. And that's not something we can answer definitely. Every person can answer it for themselves with a blind test. EDIT: Of all the things to "worry about" in an...
  15. B

Better anti-imaging filtering compared to your DAC (at the cost of some extra latency). But you can upsample for free in software, so I don't really see the point of devices like these. Well, I guess it could make sense if you're not using a computer for playback...
Top Bottom