Recent content by Bartl007

1. B

JBL M2 Reference Master Monitor Review

No, I paid $9,003 for the lot.... :) Details here: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/synthesis-on-the-cheap-deals-thread.3202733/
  2. B

Please never pay full retail for JBL/Harman products. My M2's and DCI/N amplifier (L+R pair +5000 watts of DSP amplifier) were only 31% of the $29k retail quoted above (tax and shipping included). Though the amp was factory refurbished, the speakers were brand new, drop shipped from JBL. For...
  3. B

Crown 4|300N Amplifier Review

I would argue that the crown amps are actually a better match for any AVR (including the trinnov) because they have what most consumer amps lack…input voltage attenuation knobs! You can optimize the gain structure of your system and maximize signal to noise without running into...
  4. B

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

Super pumped to try out ART! Didn't know for sure this device was capable. Still love my HTP-1 since 2 years ago. Shocked the price hasn't risen with inflation. It's easily worth twice the asking price!
  5. B

I typically just turn off all the amps in the rack when not in use from the trigger out of my AVR using the Furman cn2400s : https://furmanpower.com/product/20a-smartsequencing-power-conditioner/ Works great and prevents Inrush current from tripping breakers during start up as well. I...
  6. B

Revel C763L In-ceiling Speaker Review

Just to give some real world perspective, here is the c763L as measured in my acoustically treated listening space, spatially averaged over 6 microphone measurement points across 2 seating rows. The other 3 speakers used for in ceiling atmos show a very similar measurement pattern. I have no...
  7. B

The beauty of using professional amps in a home theater/residential setting that many in this thread are overlooking is the availability of input voltage attenuator knobs. Few if any amps marketed towards residential/HiFi use have the ability to optimize gain stage at the amplifier level...
  8. B

I use 2 of the crown DCI 4/300 amps (same as tested but without DSP-the "N" stands for network capability/DSP) to drive surround and overhead channels. $471 per amp refurbished from affinitechstore.com when I purchased mine 2-3 years ago.
  9. B

Check affinitechstore.com for factory refurbished crown amps of all shapes and sizes. Comes with a full 3 year warranty for piece of mind. I was able to score a DCI 4/1250N for ~$980 to drive a pair of M2's!
  10. B

JBL 708i Monitor Review (Passive: Part 1)

The scl-4 shares the same compression driver used in the 708i so this is as on topic as it gets in this thread :oops: I have not heard the scl-4 in either form, but just looking at the spins, i would say the differences would be audible. Otherwise, why would JBL even bother making the EQ files...
  11. B

I'm far from an expert on speaker design and digital signal processing, but it's my understanding that it is possible to shape more than just frequency response with modern DSP (not just simple PEQ). They are indeed the same speaker though.
  12. B

That's just it, the scl-4 is NOT designed to be active. On the residential side, there is no formal recommendation or even a mention in the user manual that the scl-4 can be, or should be improved with “anechoic eq” filters. On the Pro side, it's made very clear that without proper DSP, you...
  13. B

regarding price, only a fool pays full MSRP for JBL gear. I purchased the 708i several years ago from a pro audio retailer for $950/speaker but subsequently sold them to fund my M2 upgrade. Looks like the price has risen some with inflation and other COVID factors to ~$1200/speaker from the same...
  14. B

Sample to sample variation could also be to blame. Perhaps an inadequate amount of polyfill/stuffing was used in this particular speaker that was tested. One of my 3 M2's had a rubbing voice coil on the woofer that required replacement under warranty. I've heard of other owners with woofers that...
  15. B

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

S360 also has a modular amplification unit that can be detached from the speaker enclosure and rack mounted to simplify installation. Not sure if genelec can modify other speakers in their line for similar installation flexibility.
Top Bottom