Recent content by barrows

1. B

Speaker High pass Low pass filter for a sub ?

The problem with creating a high pass filter between the amplifier and the speakers, is that one would need huge capacitors to do it because of the low impedance of the speaker load. By high passing at the input of the amplifier, one is working with the much higher (94 Kohms in my case) input...
  2. B

Speaker High pass Low pass filter for a sub ?

Would like to re-vive this topic a bit. My main speakers, Focus Audio Signature 888s have pretty good bass extension, but are two ways. I have a JL Audio 112e single sub with them. The single sub is OK (as opposed to two) because I low pass the sub ~40 Hz, and at these low frequencies the...
  3. B

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

OK, I have not read all of this thread, but most of it seems like a bunch of "know it alls" espousing their greater understanding of digital audio than Rob Watts', uhhh, sure you do! At least Amir himself appears to exhibit some knowledge of digital audio and filtering. If you really think that...
  4. B

Hypex DIY Preamplifier Kit Review

Hypex told me they expect the DAC board to be ready in Q4 of 2023. The Phono Stage to follow in 2024. So, I would hope we'll see the DAC board fairly soon.
  5. B

It does come with a remote.
  6. B

The advantage of a class D circuit is that it is much more efficient than class A, or class A/B circuits. In a line level preamplifier, there is no need for high power, so for preamplifiers there is no advantage to using a class D circuit. Preamplifiers are typically run in class A, or...
  7. B

Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC and Streamer Review

It is a good question. I have not heard of anyone making this comparison, but it would be interesting to know. Disclaimer: I work with Sonore (I am not a Sonore employee though) maker of some of the very best performing Ethernet to USB Renderers available, including ones which accept optical...
  8. B

There is a lot of relatively uniformed opinion in these comments. First of all, the price for this unit is very, very fair. "Building" it requires a couple of hours, and almost no skills (no soldering, etc). The 3 inputs might not be enough for some users, I get that, but consider if you add...
  9. B

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Nilai is only available for DIY, NCx is only available in OEM manufactured products. So, if you want to DIY, you get Nilai, if you want to purchase an amp from a manufacturer you can get NCx...
  10. B

Agreed. I love DSD, and oversample all my music to DSD 256 using HQPlayer for playback.
  11. B

I would like everyone here to consider: what are we trying to see here? Considering that music does not have considerable energy in these high frequencies, high power output is never going to be used at high frequencies, except for the possibility that electronic music might have some of this...
  12. B

You are wrong, this amplifier is superb throughout the entire audio bandwidth.
  13. B

Nothing. Note that this test only really shows considerable distortion at high power above 10 kHz! Music signals are never going to require high power at such frequencies, so this distortion will never happen with actual music playback. Additionally, all the distortion harmonics will be out...
  14. B

DIY Purifi Amp builds

The Purifi modules produce very little heat, just mounting them to the bottom plate of an aluminum chassis is enough to dissipate any heat produced, so no worries.
  15. B

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

I am not interested in "convincing" anyone. I am mature enough to know that would be a fools errand. I know what is right, and what is not, and I could care less if some folks are wrong. What I am interested in is moving forward, and the development of more sophisticated measurements which...
Top Bottom