Recent content by Barce

1. B

Review and Measurements of Neurochrome HP-1 High-Performance Amp

Really nice to see your hard work and planning come to fruition. That's one attractive unit. I'd coinsider join the 40 preorders (and support Canadian engineering/manufacturing) if I could justify dropping 1k on an amp right now, but the Topping DX3Pro is still covering all my headphones like a...
  2. B

I prefer the icons too, but there's no question that Gain and Input are less universally familiar. TBH I'm still unsure of what the gain "triangle" is meant to represent. I mean, shouldn't the point of the triangle on the left, since the default is low and high ramp the signal amplification...
  3. B

I've been waiting for a real competitor to the THX789 - don't feel like buying one badly enough because I love my DX3 Pro. So a practically bespoke contender unit that is partly made in Canada in the $500-600 range sounds pretty damn nice right about now. Purple PCB looks rad as hell!
  4. B

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

I incidentally had my first spontaneous shutdown while I was actively listening to music a few weeks ago. I was in high gain (don't use it often so far) on my 2Cs, and I heard a click and silence as the display shut off. Turned it back on immediately with no lasting issue. Supremely baffling...
  5. B

Not yet but supposedly Topping engineers have been focusing on it for the past month, silently.
  6. B

Got my Argons in at last and am pleased to report that the DX3pro has more than enough juice to push them to hearing damaging levels, with a bit more headroom to spare. Currently getting my head brutally thumped by visceral sub-bass at -8db in High Gain. Edit: An hour of nonstop enjoyment in...
  7. B

Which OpAmp swap stops the thread from being overrun with hyperactive weirdoes who make 8 consecutive uninterrupted posts of solipsistic blather in a single hour?
  8. B

You know all these Topping products use different DAC chips, right? D30 has CirrusLogic, NX4 is ESS, and DX3pro uses AKM. Differences in reproduction can be minor between them, but they're generally not imperceptible to a seasoned ear. There's room for personal preferences.
  9. B

Late for the production rollcall, but I've got a 1808 (silver) from the first aliexpress Aoshida store shipment. I never installed the official driver or even updated the firmware. Use with headphone amp+DAC mode for at least 4+ hours daily, nearly always USB mode. Sometimes let it run overnight...
  10. B

This is a valuable message. When I ordered mine the matter of the adapter was my first order of concern - I took one look at the brass socket extender-types and instantly imagined PCB housings being splintered to pieces forever with one false step + critical leverage. I went with the...
  11. B

Sorry to hear so many people are having acute failures in the amp section. Hearing multiple QA stories at once is always a bummer. Has anyone been keeping track of the failures and their respective firmwares?
  12. B

You can indeed change between the output modes by pressing the volume knob button.
  13. B

The promise of the firmware being fulfilled is fantastic. I'm going to hold off a bit longer to read everyone's feedback before I apply it myself, since the clicking is a non-issue for my enjoyment. Unrelated, but I figure it may be of interest to some - I just received some Fostex T50RP (on a...
  14. B

The DX3Pro would run a 6XX perfectly fine on low gain. High gain doesn't "ruin accuracy", it's that the upper limits of HG output in devices are more prone to approaching audible distortion. That's why there are graphs comparing a device's various output levels that Amir also helpfully comments...
Top Bottom