Recent content by BadAudioAdvice

1. B

Tutorial (sorta) How to setup AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd Generation) for Apple Music and Voice Control

I purchased a used AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd Generation) A1392 for $15 (fair price!) this weekend and I wanted to share the steps that I went through to be able to do something like: "Hey Siri play the Beatles on the Technics Stereo" I'm no expert in streaming devices, but from my limited...
  2. B

Technics SU-C01 beautiful circuit board - how to fix input selector

A little bit of DeoxIT did the trick - we will see how long it remains static free.
  3. B

I decided to delay the "repair" by a day, so that I could order a small vial of the brush-style DeoxIT D100L, as the DeoxIT that I had on hand was the spray kind, and I was concerned about 1. making a mess by spraying too much and 2. access to the left side of the switch near the case would be...
  4. B

How did you know?? It is the left aux channel that is giving me trouble. I'll do as you suggested and report back. Thank you!
  5. B

I've got that whole stack :) Interestingly the amplifier came in two versions, one with a separate component that turned AC into DC (as shown in that stack), and another version that had the amplifier power supply built-in. I'm not sure which one is more common. I noticed the missing screw as...
  6. B

Thank you for the advice, and the link to the post showing before and after. I'll start with the temporary DeoxIT approach, see how long it lasts, and then consider if I am feeling up to risking it trying the disassembly cleaning approach.
  7. B

I would like to, what would be your recommended cleaning solution for that? Good point. I have DeoxIT D5, DeoxIT GN5, and CRC QD Electronic cleaner. (Purchased after watching a BlueGlow Electronics YouTube repair video)
  8. B

It appears to be in fine condition based on feel, response to rotation of the knob, and from as much as I can see when it moves (the view in the video I posted is about as much as can be seen).
  9. B

I was also thinking that I could use CRC Electrical Contact cleaner. I've never repaired any vintage equipment before, and most of the videos I saw online recommended Deoxit, but that was usually for POTS. This input selector seems like it has discrete connections on the bottom, and a bridging...
  10. B

Thank you for your response! Yes, the selector switch is a very interesting mechanism. As one rotates the input selector knob, it engages with teeth which slides the selector mechanism. I just filmed a quick video of it in action: What is your thought on WD40 vs Deoxit? I have Deoxit on...
  11. B

Based on the measurements printed on the case, seems like this offers SOTA performance ;) The only problem is that the input select isn't behaving nicely. I need to position it in-between inputs, otherwise the Left channel is very distorted (sometimes it works OK in the actual position, but...
  12. B

How to (cost effectively) EQ a mostly analog system while maintaining high fidelity?

That's good to know. So it seems like the Flex unbalanced might be the "cheapest" way to get EQ for both speakers and headphones...still seems a bit pricey. In hindsight I wouldn't have needed to get the Topping E50 DAC if I had the miniDSP Flex - would have made the price more palatable.
  13. B

How to (cost effectively) EQ a mostly analog system while maintaining high fidelity?

Dear ASR forum members, I'd like to ask for some advice regarding how I can incorporate (a cost-effective) EQ in my system: Speakers: Technics SB-C700 (the ones reviewed by Amir) Amplifier: Topping PA5 II DAC: Topping E50 with Coax for CD player, Optical for Airplay Streaming, don't really use...
  14. B

NEOHIPO ET30 VU Meter Speaker Switcher Review

Would it be possible to test to see if it has any impact on the signal being passed from the amplifier to the speaker? (apologies if that was part of the review, from what I read, it looks like the testing was in parallel, and using it purely as a VU meter) Also, is it safe to use to switch...
  15. B

Sound Devices MixPre-3 II Multichannel Recorder Review

I received the unit back, and can confirm a few things: 1. Unit was in 'Basic' mode. (unit was shipped for testing in Advanced mode - can't say when it was put into Basic mode) 2. Basic mode has limiters enabled, and the menu option to turn them off isn't available. 3. I can replicate the 1Vrms...
Top Bottom