Recent content by Azazello13

1. A

More news on subjective perceptions from the wine indistry

wine is an interesting analogy, because there is a ton of BS flying in that world as well, with hucksters competing to separate rich people from their money. But with wine there really ARE subtle differences anyone can notice and that a trained taster can pick out and identify consistently. The...
  2. A

Help me upgrade my budget system

some people swear by the second sub. I'm not so sure I do, but I've never had that set up. That couldn't be a bad option, it would be pretty easy to sell one later if you decide you don't need it. speaker upgrade would seem like the obvious choice as far as something you can really hear and be...
  3. A

Do CD players sound different to each other?

If you're removing speakers and everything, then the recording (CD) itself is at least 90% of overall sound quality. If you're just talking about the CD player: 1) any kind of signal processing the unit might be doing. these "modes" always make it sound like crap. sometimes you have to find...
  4. A

Classical Instruments: Historical or Modern?

obviously they are my opinions. that is the whole point. you are welcome to your opinion that harpsichord is superior to modern piano, but I would point out that it is not a widely shared opinion. arguing with fundamentalists is tedious. have fun with your trumpet that can only play a third of...
  5. A

I can't say I've heard many period instrument renditions of piano pieces from this era. I will have to check some of them out. Thanks for the suggestions.
  6. A

Well, like I said at the outset, I don't think it's productive to be an absolutist about this issue. Obviously you feel differently. :) Just to dial in a bit and focus my argument, I'm just going to talk about Bach's solo keyboard output. I'd maintain the following: 1) Piano renderings of these...
  7. A

Wow, this is an interesting thread, very enjoyable. I feel like there are a lot of pretty strong arguments on both sides of this debate, so for me an important thing from the outset is not to become an absolutist about it. Where I come down personally is I love the period approach and find it...
  8. A

Mobile Fidelity Analog Vinyl Controversy

as long as they have to give back the vinyl, Mofi would probably take that in a heartbeat.
  9. A

the conspiracy? really? if that's what you think this is, I don't know what to tell you. This is just recording engineers using the best tool they had for the job. Here's the ironic thing. They could have avoided all of this by recording the master to another tape, and then using that tape...
  10. A

that's one helpdesk email to one customer. THAT customer might have a claim that there was misrepresentation, but as evidence in a class action suit it is worthless. Reading through that complaint, it's on a really thin legal and factual basis. still Mofi may want to settle it. most likely...
  11. A

wow! great job keeping it civil (on your side), I feel like that's a master class in how to deal with those types. I love how the one guy accuses you of "appeal to authority" fallacy, then a few posts later is like "I guess all the recording engineers are hearing things!" :facepalm:
  12. A

an older player might have kind of a crappy DAC, if you're forced to use it (with RCA or other analog outs) any disc player with a digital out, you're not even using the onboard DAC, so you can eliminate most of the sources of real "difference" right there. the quality and functionality of the...
  13. A

But it doesn't sound like you've A/B'd that particular release. I haven't either. There are three I've A/B'd recently against the high-res versions in Qobuz. Again, just listening to the redbook layer, both through same DAC/amp and speakers, starting at the same time and switching inputs...
  14. A

Their more recent CDs sound great, too. I have no real use for SACD, but just the redbook layers on them greatly surpass previous reissues in my experience. One example is the "Monk's Dream" they just put out this year or last. Originally I had the old 1980s CD reissue of this, it was OK. when...
  15. A

It honestly just boggles my mind that, of all the blatant swindles in the audio world, THIS is the "deception" people have finally decided to get worked up over. First of all, their deception consists of a lie by omission. I think they knew full well that a lot of superstitions about...
Top Bottom