Recent content by AW61

1. A

Can you take the USB output from a Phono A2D Preamp into USB input of a DAC?

Agree the modern Chinese ones do not seem to. But there are units available that do, eg Cyrus DAC XP Signature DAC / Pre Amplifier. Who knows, maybe Topping are preparing to release a unit that is a combination of one of their DACs and a Pre90? That would be interesting. Agree again. Although...
  2. A

Actually I don't have the Rega - i think someone assumed above but I do now have the Behringer PP40, just arrived today - effectively the same thing though. Need to distinguish between preamp and preamp... a phono preamp does not have a volume control, it's just for converting the cartridge...
  3. A

Thankyou! All it needed however would be for the DAC to take an analog input and then only the phono preamp would be required. Probably there are such but my SMSL D200 doesn't have that facility. I too was looking at the Topping Pre90 - not primarily for turntable purposes but for sound...
  4. A

Good question - because the DAC I have can only take a digital input. I realise this won't be the best for sound quality, I could buy a preamp but that would mean another set of leads to my active speakers
  5. A

Thankyou - have ordered the preamp and A2D, looking forward to seeing how it all goes.
  6. A

OK - Turntable is a Dual 604 with moving Magnet cartridge, RCA output DAC is SMSL DO200 Both Phono preamp and A2D converter are yet to be obtained, but likely these...
  7. A

Thanks for your replies! To clarify - I think the signal path will end up being:- Turntable (MM RCA out) --> Phono Preamp (RCA out)--> A2D (RCA in , SPDIF out) -->DAC (SPDIF input) That sound OK?
  8. A

Yes - it's the D0200. I'm already using the optical input (from Chromecast Audio) But I could get one of these and take the SPDIF to the DAC? I'll need a separate Phono preamp first to handle the MM cartridge...
  9. A

OK! I suspected this may be the case. Any other way to connect the turntable to the DAC (NOT using a computer)?
  10. A

Can you take the USB output from a Phono A2D Preamp into USB input of a DAC? I have a SMSL DAC with the standard USB input. Instead of taking the USB feed from a computer I want to take it from a Phono A2D Preamp so I can play my turntable into the DAC. This will mean I can use the same...
  11. A

DACs - balanced, unbalanced? I'm Confused!

To partly answer my own questions (from further reading) 1/ The benefits of XLR vs RCA (at least from a DAC) are: - Eliminates possibility of hum/noise - Higher voltage - DAC XLR output may be higher quality than RCA 2/ So in any case where the downstream equipment from the DAC (ie...
  12. A

DACs - balanced, unbalanced? I'm Confused!

Ok – to pick this up again – bit of a reset - I now have a DAC, the SMSL DO200. This has both RCA and Balanced outputs that can be used simultaneously so no need for a splitter to drive any sub. This then returns to the original question – is there any benefit in using the XLR outputs on the...
  13. A

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Here's where I absolutely disagree - from firsthand experience. The DAC I'm using atm is that on my Musical Fidelity KW250s - taking the optical output from Chromecast Audio. Then out from that to my active speakers, Beolab 17, via RCA. That unit has to go hence my need for a new DAC. The...
  14. A

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

I realise this may be controversial but here goes.. I’ve been a HiFi man all my teenage and now adult life – I’m now 61. Like the rest of the world, where I never thought to buy a standalone DAC, in this streaming age, I now need to. And here’s where I have encountered the whole “measurements...
  15. A

SMSL M400 Toslink, RCA issues still?. Compared to RME ADI2 and D70s

After doing a lot of reading and asking questions on this site and others I have narrowed down my DAC choices to a current shortlist of Topping D70S, SMSL M400, ADI RME-2. The application is Optical output of Chromecast Audio into the Toslink input of the DAC then RCA output into active...
Top Bottom