Recent content by AudioJunky

1. A

Sonos Port (Subjectivist) Review in TechHive [trigger warning]

I've been using the S2 app albeit with my Play:1, which is just a bathroom speaker.... The app is decent enough and I've had no issues streaming anything from Tidal, deezer, etc. There's not much different so far from the previous app. I've been looking at the Port as I want something to feed...
  2. A

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Just posting my burn in on my D50s. Had it since July. Pretty sure it was always on lowest brightness and auto off. The COAX looks better, which is probably what burned in though it still looks "off". I rarely look at the display and it's far from the listening position so not sure how long...
  3. A

I'd never expect much from a passive preamp, especially from schiit. There's probably a $5 pot in it. There's a reason potentiometers are cheap and stepped attenuators are not. I'd love to see measurements from a device using a stepped attenuator (preferably a ladder design) or even the $30...
  4. A

If requiring a "moderate" amount of attenuation would a reduction in noise be a higher priority vs alternate volume controls (which can introduct their own noise)? If the more attenuation needed, the lower the dynamic range (based on noise floor) then could a linear psu actually make a...
  5. A

You still get a reduction of dynamic range with digital attenuation. I think the main problem is I have too much gain in my setup. If I had difficult headphones to drive or a weaker power amp I could use less attenuation and not have such a problem. I either need a different preamp/volume...
  6. A

I set the atom at 3pm with the d50s at -25db currently for testing. I've read that what ends up happening with digital volume control, is you're lowering the signal while keeping the noise floor the same. So in effect lowering the SNR and Sinad. With analog you have a large signal and when...
  7. A

This is how I had it initially but the atom was set really low and affected the sound quality. Typical of potentiometers at low volume/high resistance. I'm going to try an attenuator between the d50s and atom which should sound better than either alternative. The other option is to replace...
  8. A

With the D50s I have the atom on a switched outlet so I never adjust it. With the D10 I use the knob to turn it off and on in a desktop setup but I never get it past 10 o'clock. I believe I need attenuation between the dac and preamp. My power amps are overpowered and my headphones are audeze...
  9. A

Ahh thanks. I was afraid to do that with my D10 and Atom as I don't trust windows from resetting the volume randomly one day and either blowing up my speakers or my eardrums. I even thought about installing something like this https://github.com/troylar/quiet-on-the-set In the living...
  10. A

Are you using the Atom as a preamp as well? About where do you position the Atom volume and D50s volume levels? I have the same, but didn't like the Atom as a preamp. I was wondering if its better to have the atom high and the dac low, or vice versa, or somewhere in between? Thanks
  11. A

Why not the dx3 pro if using headphones?
  12. A

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

Pretty sure if anyone claimed they could hear a difference you'd call them a liar anyway. Not going to waste my time. /Unsubscribed
  13. A

It was just a test file. The Chromecast audio supports up to 24-bit/96KHz so there's no reason the ultra which is more powerful shouldn't be able to, it's just a limit set by Google. Tidal MQA supports 24-bit/96KHz though meaning the Chromecast ultra would be downsampling. DTS-HD could also...
  14. A

Apparently the Chromecast Ultra is limited to 48khz which is why my 96kHZ files always reported 48kHZ. A total bummer....
Top Bottom