Recent content by atmasphere

1. A

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

You don't mean the Finial Turntable (laser playback of LPs) do you?
  2. A

The bandwidth limit of vinyl is mostly microphones and such and nothing to do with the media- just as it is for digital releases. My mastering system was bandwidth limited at 42KHz (Westerex 3D with 1700 electronics; 6dB slope introduced at the output of the cutter amps). The fidelity thing is...
  3. A

There's more to it than that of course. The first is of course that you can actually see the artwork- you don't get wall posters with CDs or streaming. The second is an LP can gain value over time (often worth hundreds of dollars) as it becomes collectable. This happens to a lessor extent with...
  4. A

Fun with vinyl measurements

I guess I don't get what you're talking about. If you look at the waveforms at the post to which I linked, you can see that the member Ampexed did indeed measure differences in FR (as shown by the change in squarewave response).
  5. A

Actually, it is. You can see clearly that loading the cartridge affected the squarewave response. Yet you can also see that when a squarewave is passed through the cartridge winding, it emerges on the other side perfectly intact. This shows that loading the cartridge is making the cantilever...
  6. A

I've been running a balanced cartridge connection since 1989 (our MP-1 preamp was one of the very first balanced line preamps made). Definitely the way to go! ;) I don't think you can do any measurements that will really show what the cartridge is doing if its improperly loaded. To be clear I'm...
  7. A

From the Steve Hoffman site where for me it got more interesting. In this case we see what happens when the cartridge is loaded. This one is a LOMC. But a page or two later I put up some meausrements showing that the coil inductance was so low it could pass squarewaves at 10KHz quite well. So we...
  8. A

Loading might actually consist of a capacitor and resistor network. Back 30 years ago I used to use Grado cartridges which seemed to be a bit bright in the highs- I loaded them at about 10K which took care of it. But these days I think that might have been a bad idea since that would require...
  9. A

Did you do anything to load the cartridge? The V15 has a bit of inductance; in parallel with the capacitance of the tonearm cable and the input capacitance of your phono section (not specified; it always should be in measurements like this). That results in a resonance that will behave like a...
  10. A

Most phono measurements are, on account of almost zero provenance of setup, arm used, loading and so on. You really have no idea what's going on if that stuff isn't explicitly mentioned WRT measurements!
  11. A

Have you all paid attention to loading of these cartridges? The inductance in parallel with the tonearm capacitance can cause a peak at high frequencies. You can iron that out...
  12. A

The Truth About Vinyl Records

The mastering house that bought my mastering system told me you had to be on the good side of the owner but that may well have been to encourage me to sell the system.
  13. A

I've been told that by various sources that seem quite consistent despite not knowing each other but that does not mean I'm right. Obviously any lacquer producer would have to keep things clean but if you look you'll see there's nothing in the video that really says much about the space. The...
  14. A

Yes- that was who I mentioned earlier though not by name. SUTs don't have bandwidth so the RFI thing isn't a problem. But ringing is. When you load the transformer its not loading the cartridge significantly because the goal with the additional load is to do so while keeping the secondary load...
  15. A

'Lathe cuts' don't use lacquers- they use something called a 'dubplate' made of polycarbonate or the like. They require a different stylus too. You're on the right track. What isn't obvious here is what is causing the overload. The cartridge is an inductor and the tonearm cable has...
Top Bottom