Recent content by ash87

1. A

Just fired up my first ever Hifi set-up. It's OK?

For lack of better language, the "brightness" is almost more felt than heard. I figured that would be the most appropriate set up but it just doesn't work for the family dynamic and the play/dance space (3.5 and 5 y.o kiddos). The salesman from the distributor I bought the Chora's from swears...
  2. A

I checked the polarity of the wall recepticle as well as all three power cords (DAC, Preamp, Amp). The preamp (Toping Pre90) power cord is reversed polarity.
  3. A

Did you try other DACS before the SHD?
  4. A

Been listening to all kinds of stuff: Nina Simone, Mariah Carey, Daft Punk, Vivo movie soundtrack, Devendra Banhart, oldies soul, Bob Dylan, Hot Chip, and now some classical. I can tell when a recording is less high fidelity (older Bob Dylan) vs something like Daft Punk Random Access Memories or...
  5. A

Haven't played too much with speaker placement. I am not discounting speaker placement and room influence at all. I know it will make the whole situation better. I'm just going on first impressions here assuming there will be some refinement down the road. I will say taking the Pre90 out seems...
  6. A

The preamp supposedly had a max volume limit so that my kids wouldn't blow up the system. Also wanted a physical knob somewhere. I just took the preamp out and am giving a listen now. First impression is that there is a bit more of a crackle/static/white-noise in the backround. Will keep...
  7. A

Hi ASR, After nearly a year of reading and learning, I finally took delivery of all components of a new system and have music going: Raspberry Pi 400 running Volumio & streaming Tidal Connect Hifi> Schiit Bifrost 2/64 > Topping Pre90 > VTV Purifi 1ET400A w/ stock Hypex buffer > Focal Chora...
  8. A

Understanding a Speaker's Recommended Amp Spec.

Just want to say thanks again for the input and info from the people posting here. I ended up taking delivery of a VTV 1ET400A with stock Hypex buffer. I have the whole system rigged up now. Just posted about it in this older thread I started this past spring. Would be good to hear from some...
  9. A

First Hi-Fi System

Hey ASR, Just want to say thank you again for all the input and info on this thread. It's been a long time coming but I am finally sitting here listening to music on my very first HiFi system for the very first time. Raspberry Pi 400 running Volumio & streaming Tidal Connect Hifi> Schiit...
  10. A

I just saw that 50W clip limit in the review. Still sounds like it kept good distortion levels up to 50W even at 2 Ohm. I feel a bit stuck for purchasing options after learning the Buckeye lead times. Madisound has NC400 mono kits at $770 each, so $1540 which goes nose to nose with March...
  11. A

Thanks. I'll pass on the LA90. lol, thanks for the laugh. Nothing seems to be straightforward with HiFi WAF was a hard no on stand mounts. The LA90 was 50W at 8 ohms. I couldn't find any info for what it produces at 2.
  12. A

Thanks again for more good info. If an amp doesn't come with meters like in the video, is there a way to add a meter to an amp or possibly see it digitally (in something like miniDSP)? Just heard back from Buckeye on lead times. 9-10 weeks is testing my patience considering I just ordered the...
  13. A

Thanks for all the replies. I asked Focal if their recommended amp spec was 8 ohm RMS and the response was basically, "Go listen at a dealer, we can't tell you anything more specific." TBH I'm still not all that clear. I think this is my main takeaway here: But the above does contradict this...
  14. A

Hi ASR, I’m interested in getting a 2 channel amp for some Chora 826 speakers I’m planning to buy and I don’t quite understand the speaker's amp recommendations. The Chora is 8 Ohm nominal and 2.9 Ohm minimum with a amp recommendation of 40/250W. I am considering a Buckeye amp, but don't...
  15. A

First Hi-Fi System

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks. I was looking at the stepped attenuators from Goldpoint, they offer custom resistance values. If Hypex recommends a source impedance of 7k, would it make sense to choose a 10k Goldpoint attentuator? https://goldpt.com/r_series.html
Top Bottom