Recent content by Angsty

1. Angsty

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

I come from a generation that was initially vinyl only but snatched into CDs in our teens and only later came back to vinyl. Many of the albums from my teens and early Twenties were never released on vinyl until decades later. I still fight the idea that I should repurchase those albums on...
  2. Angsty

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

Topping would likely suggest the P50 linear power supply.
  3. Angsty

1 foot solid silver conductor interconnect vs. 0.5 foot Mogami W2964 interconnect

I once purchased these silver plated BJC cables because they were actually cheaper than the 100% copper alternative. I soon found out why they were cheaper - they were stiff as f**k and did not sound any different from my other BJC cables. For me, silver is simply a marketing gimmick not a...
  4. Angsty

1 foot solid silver conductor interconnect vs. 0.5 foot Mogami W2964 interconnect

Star quad geometry is relevant for balanced connections, but not for unbalanced connections.
  5. Angsty

Who would you consider to be an Ethical Manufacturer in the Audio Business?

I own quite a bit of Bryston gear, most of it used. I have been in contact with Bryston sales and service for over 15 years and I would call them ethical.
  6. Angsty

Shielded coax is also a preferred geometry for unbalanced, RCA terminated cables. Blue Jeans Cable explains why in their design notes. “When we entered the cable business, the best cables we could find for unbalanced audio use were cables which had actually been designed and built for video...
  7. Angsty

“… nobody does it quite like [Taylor] Swift …” https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/17/arts/music/taylor-swift-albums-versions-vinyl.html?unlocked_article_code=1.lE0.ikuu.xESNYvcfYB4L&smid=url-share
  8. Angsty

Break from Tekton Thread

Didn’t the Klipsch Heresy precede movable type?
  9. Angsty

Lightbulb moments, or how far have you come in your journey?

My last lightbulb moments came after I had swapped out a couple of components. After the initial few months of euphoria, I came to realize that the new components did not really sound better than the prior ones. Audiophilia really does seem to depend on rushes of dopamine and FOMO to sustain...
  10. Angsty

What are the three most expensive audio purchases you've made? How would you do you see them now post hoc?

I can say I never heard a bad word about the man. I’m proud to own original Thiel speakers made before private equity bought the firm after his passing. They are classics now.
  11. Angsty

What are the three most expensive audio purchases you've made? How would you do you see them now post hoc?

This was Jim Thiel of THIEL Audio… https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/some-thoughts-on-jim-thiel-1/ https://www.stereophile.com/news/jim_thiel/index.html https://www.soundandvision.com/news/092309thiel
  12. Angsty

I’ve been fortunate to find high quality, older gear at great prices. My most expensive purchase to date is my pair of Thiel CS6 speakers bought for $2500 in 2006 or 2007. I still have them and still love ‘em. The original retail price was $8800 in the early 1990’s, I believe. At this...
  13. Angsty

I bought a barely used turntable about a year ago that displaced my reliable 10-year old workhorse to my office system. After the initial oooh’s and aaa’s, I find that I enjoy both equally today. The equipment upgrade is sometimes more about the dopamine than the acoustics.
  14. Angsty

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

“Believing is hearing. That's right; if you believe you will hear a difference, then there's a good chance that you will.” — Roger Russell
  15. Angsty

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

Why is it that the one guy I knew who owned both Emotiva and Tekton proved to be a backstabber and adulterer? Must just be coincidence. Regardless, I won’t own either brand.
Top Bottom