Recent content by Andrej

1. A

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

I grew up i Omiš, Croatia, and now I live in SE Florida (got there via England and New Jersey). Summers in Croatia, the rest of the time in Coconut Creek. Here are: 1. A rare event - snow in Dalmatia 2. A view of Omiš from the sea 3. About to land in Miami, you can see the downtown with suburbs...
  2. A

Pics you’ve taken,

Sailing in the Adriatic
  3. A

Pics you’ve taken,

That is an interesting collection of coins, from a Croatian Nikola Tesla coin (how many cents is this one?) to the US penny, to what appears to an old French Franc coin!
  4. A

Vera Audio midrange horn - polar measurements

Beautiful horns! Given their size, and the apparent thickness of the horns, are you concerned with resonant vibrations? Also, given that the approximate x-over frequency is around 600Hz, why do you need such a large horn for the high frequency driver?
  5. A

Do we know if adding directivity to the bass frequencies adds to the sound quality?

I had a pair of speakers with controlled directivity down to 1kHz, crossing over to an 8" seas excel in a large box tuned to about 35-40Hz, with DSP and high order x-over slopes. Once I placed the same 8"driver in a large waveguide, good down to about 175Hz, the perceived sound quality improved...
  6. A

Marantz AV10 AV Processor Review

Or even cheaper then just cheaper, with just the digital outputs;) Talk about low demand...making it a very expensive product:rolleyes:
  7. A

Marantz AV10 AV Processor Review

My plan is to move to active speakers with both analog and digital inputs. I would, personally, prefer manufacturers to replace RCA analog outputs with digital outputs (where balanced outputs are also present, as with AV10), and let the active speakers do D/A conversion (rather than ADC+DAC)...
  8. A

Help with Sound Proofing / Noise Reduction

What is the thickness and area of 80kg of fiberglass? Of course it will help, but everything I have read on this subject claimed that the effect is relatively small especially at lower frequencies. I guess that if it cannot tame a resonance in a room, it will not stop transmission. 11 inches of...
  9. A

Help with Sound Proofing / Noise Reduction

The heavier 5/8" drywall helps (when compared to the more typical 1/2"). What really helps is isolating the drywall from the joists, as suggested in other posts, and adding another layer with GreenGlue in between the two layers (adds constrained layer damping. For walls, the screws are spaced...
  10. A

Ultimate List of What Matters and What doesn't Matters or Audible Differences

I know this is assumed, but it is worth pointing it out: The first thing on my list is finding music I enjoy! Finding a good rendition and recording is somewhere on that list close to good speakers and room acoustics. Electronics, cabling, etc. are solved problems for me, comparatively speaking.
  11. A

Selection of "best" drivers for a series of speaker projects

@jamescarter1982 you can see an update in https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/is-10db-enough.50173/#post-1801308 which also refers to a post with additional information
  12. A

Is 10dB enough?

Thanks all, I think we are all in agreement with some caveats about gain in various components. Since Hypex plate amps can take digital input, gain should not be so much of an issue. It is more likely to be a problem if using it with an AVR for HT, so I'll pay more attention in that case. With...
  13. A

Is 10dB enough?

I remember a post, I think by Amir, that if the preceding device has at least 10dB SINAD advantage, it will not negatively impact the performance of the device in question. For example, if the DAC has 10dB higher SINAD than the pre-amplifier, which in turn has a 10dB higher SINAD than the power...
  14. A

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

I thas been a long time since I decided (mostly, but not entirely, based on sighted comparisons, but also having done many automated blind comparisons as a subject at work) that I am wasting time comparing competent DACs and most pre- and power-amps. The big obstacles to fidelity have been...
  15. A

Did my first ever audiogram with a hearing doctor, what to do with it ?

My understanding is that you need to consider (amplitude * duration) to evaluate what is damaging. So the best solutions will involve shortening exposures and/or lowering the loudness.
Top Bottom