Recent content by Anders V

1. A

RAAL-requisite SR1a Ribbon Headphone Review

I bought mine with the Schiit Jotunheim R which eliminates the need for the resistor adapter box, and costs just a little more than the adapter box. (This discussion of impedance and voltage and current and efficiency is a master class in ohm’s law, not complex — the headphones themselves are...
  2. A

Review and Measurements of Benchmark HPA4 Headphone Amp/Pre

I don’t recall what input signal level you use when measuring devices like these, but if you use normal consumer device level, I note that the Benchmark DAC3 and the HPA4 can agree to use professional levels (12 or 15 dB higher if I recall their documentation). So that combination should yield...
  3. A

Computer Audiophiles Are Anti-Computer

We are obviously so far apart that debating is meaningless. Instead, let’s make a bet. I bet that in 2050 there will be 100s of billions of smart and connected devices, billions of them “computers” in the classical sense (desktops and laptops and servers including cloud), tens of billions...
  4. A

Sure, the general purpose computer isn’t going away, but its growth is limited by the clunkiness. My experience gives a hint of this future. I now use a Roon Nucleus which underneath the covers is a Linux box, and I have never logged on to configure or troubleshoot the platform, the OS or...
  5. A

I am negative on “computers” for audio too, but for entirely different reasons: not sound quality but the complexity of general-purpose machines. I think we will move to small, single-purpose devices. Of course they will have compute capability inside, but when everything is smart and connected...
  6. A

Benchmark HPA4 Line/headphone amplifier

I have an HPA4 combined with a DAC3 (the B model), which I think will be common even though the HPA4 is a general analog device and can be used with any DAC. Those two devices play well together and support balanced interconnection at professional levels (“XLR outputs are calibrated to +24 dBu...
  7. A

Amir, I trust you are referring to somebody else, I haven’t shipped it. If you want to discuss, can you PM me? I don’t know the features of this forum...
  8. A

Very recently bought the SU-8 (through Massdrop), should be v1.2 but I haven’t checked. Even though the SU-8 works ok, I got the DAC3 B for the HPA4 because they are designed to work well together: both can use professional level balanced connection, integrated user interface (input naming...
  9. A

Review and Measurements of Empirical Audio Synchro-Mesh

Ah. Not length at all. I misunderstood. So the jitter varies between -1 ns and 1 ns, sinusoidally, with a frequency of 5 kHz?
  10. A

Review and Measurements of Empirical Audio Synchro-Mesh

@amirm This you have to explain: “For the next test, let's instruct the Audio Precision analyzer to generate a jitter tone that is in the form of sine wave at 5 kHz which has a "magnitude" of 1 nanosecond.” Assuming that “magnitude” here means the length of the signal, I.e. it feeds in the 5kHz...
  11. A

My next sentence said the 789 did very well when paired with the DAC3. But first, let me qualify this: it was after a very brief listening test, and I have no way to equalize headphone volume across amps. I have done a brief test of the 789 with the Hugo 2 and it also did very well. The 789...
  12. A

Just a few days with it... But the combination with the DAC3 is most impressive, well over the 789 with another price-appropriate DAC (SMSL SU-8). The 789 combined with the DAC3 held its own very well. I could evaluate them both with other DACs (a Chord, a Meridian). But I am not a reviewer. At...
  13. A

I was so impressed by the Massdrop THX AAA 789, I upgraded to the Benchmark HPA4 + DAC3 B. They play very well together. @amirm If you can’t get hold of one to test, reach out — I’m in a Kirkland.
Top Bottom