Recent content by analogue

1. A

Warning for desktop users: SMSL stacks have issues without workarounds (PC/Mac)

You don't seem to have the issue: there is no way to increase the buffersize in all software available out there. A better workaround is to not buy any of those DACs until they actually fix this issue.
  2. A

Roon might keep the connection alive, the issue is experienced when there is no DAC client for a while, which makes the DAC goes to powersaving mode, leading to 0.5s of silence on new sounds.
  3. A

I don't think that's true, as this is not an OS problem but a driver problem. Did you test the issue on Sonoma to confirm that it's fixed?
  4. A

Can you explain more about this? The problem does not occur on high gain?
  5. A

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

I'm betting they keep releasing DACs with the same issues over and over... https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/warning-for-desktop-users-smsl-stacks-have-issues-without-workarounds-pc-mac.41982/ Until this is confirmed fixed, it's a non starter for Mac users.
  6. A

Unable Download Topping Drivers from their Website

Works for me too in Firefox on MacOS. Want us to post the file?
  7. A

TOPPING DX5 Lite! Coming soon!

For sure, also an XMOS XU316 instead of the XU216. And maybe we can hope for an AKM DAC chip?
  8. A

HIFIMAN EF600 Desktop R2R DAC/Amp Headphone Stand

There is a new HIFIMAN EF600 desktop DAC/Amp available for preorder: https://apos.audio/products/hifiman-ef600-desktop-dac-amp The TLDR; is: Shaped like a headphone stand 2x R2R Ladder DAC It's an EF400 with a different shape, 2 DAC chips, and more input More inputs than the EF400s USB, (RCA...
  9. A

I can confirm 2 brands (not necessarily fitting your reqs): Any Schiit will do as they have their own USB chip. The Creative Soundblaster X5 works well too. Someone in this thread said Topping does not have the issue despite using XMOS: they might have disabled this "feature" on the chip, but I...
  10. A

Here's the official answer from [email protected], which does the official support for SMSL: So not sure if it's XMOS or SMSL/FiiO/... specific, but that's definitely not fixable on MacOS, and it's suggested to not even touch the energy saving mode on Windows. I'll pass.
  11. A

Either NSAppSleepDisabled has an effect, and in this case more energy will be wasted, and the battery will drain faster, either it's useless and why even talking about it?
  12. A

Can't test anymore as I RMAed the SMSL DAC, maybe someone else can? But even if it works, who wants to lose the amazing battery saving of the Mac just to use an XMOS powered DAC? Seriously... =( Desktop DAC should not powersave unless the actual OS is asleep...
  13. A

Yes there is a terminal, but there is no kernel module, it's not using the Linux kernel. So you are using an application to keep you Mac always fully on, that works but at what cost... Yes if I keep some audio app running silent, the problem goes away. But I prefer to just not use an XMOS DAC...
  14. A

The problem is not related to the powersavings of the OS as a whole, but to the USB XMOS chip: - on Windows, setting the power savings to "High Performance" does not fix the issue - on MacOS, setting the power savings to "none" does not fix the issue If you look at your instructions on Linux...
  15. A

You are right, it has a XMOS XUF208. This means this problem would happen on all DAC with XMOS, including toppings? It seems weird that everyone would live with this issue. I thought it would be a problem specific to SMSL implementation given how few people complain. I plugged back my Schiit...
Top Bottom