Recent content by AMPaul

1. A

SMSL A300 My Subjective-ish review

SMSL A300 (£150/$175) These are my impressions of the new SMSL A300 integrated amp. I tested it with my SMSL SU9N DAC playing Spotify from my TV through TOSLink. I used a pair of Quad S2 (87dB at 8ohm impedance nominal) speakers as they are very revealing and fairly neutral from 200Hz...
  2. A

Looking for some really smooth sounding bookshelf speakers- suggestions?

thank you @sweetchaos . that is actually very useful. the ranges that got presented there are a bit too much (+-10db) is something a good speaker shouldnt present. I would definitely say that i would like to find a really rolled off speaker that otherwise seems pretty neutral but with that...
  3. A

Looking for some really smooth sounding bookshelf speakers- suggestions?

Hello fellow audio enthusiasts. My journey in audiophilia has taken me to a really nice of resolving speakers that i currently enjoy a lot. The thing is that the audio switch itch is always there and now i am thinking of going for the smoothest speakers - used speaker pair that is- that i can...
  4. A

SMSL SU-6 Review (Desktop DAC)

By the way guys it is up for grabs on Shnezen Audio website. https://shenzhenaudio.com/collections/all/products/smsl-su-6-dac-es9038q2m-xmos-dsd-pcm768khz-32bit-bluetooth-5-0-ldac-usb-decoder?_kx=U26jihnfLCJa1LajCtYnGipr5q-otIrpPcYeOLLqvKg%3D.YduXAQ This DAC makes me feel a bit bad as i...
  5. A

SMSL SU-6 Review (Desktop DAC)

most likely it is the one they used on su-9n- the QCC5125.
  6. A

apparently we and certain audiophile reviewers (NRD) are listening to completely different things when we review DACs

to be honest i'm not sure- i just assumed...maybe it is made in China but has non Chinese design.
  7. A

apparently we and certain audiophile reviewers (NRD) are listening to completely different things when we review DACs

@DanielT - i opened this thread just to show the kind of audiophile elitist behavior that most of these "popular" reviewers eventually display. He is saying that the Loxjie is pretty good, nothing special, same as all the other China DACs, and that his American made May is definitely worth the...
  8. A

So one pays up to $5k extra for that "decay" in the "time domain"... what a load of BS!
  9. A

NAD and Rega a subjective impressions thread (not only)

Hi all, I have recently upgraded (or so i believe) form a good old NAD C320BEE to a Rega Biro-R amp. I run it with a SMSL Sanksrit 10thMk2 DAC and a pair of Quad S2 bookshelves. As a backstory, i never buy new amps as i believe thy can be bought at a really high discount 2nd hand. So, i got...
  10. A

Reviewing Speakers - Measurements and Listening Tests (Video)

@amirm , you are killing the fun in all the review business with this scientific method. In any case, what do you reckon then, a good scoring system for lazy customers might be? thanks
  11. A

How much do HiFi dealers add on top , on average?

Could you detail to me how the trade in system worked (or works). I'm uneducated. Cheers!
  12. A

How much do HiFi dealers add on top , on average?

Just curious; I am just guessing but i'd say anywhere between 30 to 100%? Maybe some of you have been in this business and could provide a more realistic average value. as a follow up i've noticed by watching some YT videos that they generally do not stock cheapo stuff (like under £1000...
  13. A

Is the Hi-Fi industry inherently not adapted to the 21st century (serious discussion)?

Hi there, i was wondering in the light of last years' events( Covid, chip shortages, etc), that this whole 18months exacerbated the Hi-Fi's industry shortcomings. i think this may end up yet again into a hi-fi Subjective/Objective reviewer thread( but hope not). What i'm saying is that for many...
  14. A

The point of diminishing for speakers is...?

i'd say it hits pretty quickly ( see Wharfedales 12.1 - at £250). Great speaker for the price. Nevertheless i would say that different factors govern your decision on where you feel it is not worth it anymore. It's simply financial too, do you have $500- $1000 to spend? Will there be some...
  15. A

What specs do actually matter in amps?

im not saying it has a problem. i'm just thinking of changing it and not breaking the bank while evaluating and hoping that within budget i get some objective sound improvements.
Top Bottom