Recent content by AlfaNovember

1. A

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Now, are we talking Tony with the big-hole Martin D28? Or Marty on the B-Bender? Marty Stuart talks about the B-Bender starting at around 1:05, but of course the whole thing is a good listen: https://www.pushkin.fm/podcasts/broken-record/marty-stuart I had tickets to a Marty Stuart small...
  2. A

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Justin Townes Earle. He had good shows, and not-good shows. The good ones were incandescent - I remember one night with Jason Isbell opening. They blew the doors off the place. I'm sorry his demons overcame him, he had more to say.
  3. A

Bands you just didn't 'get' initially

"The Piano Has Been Drinking" was my introduction to Tom Waits when I was a teen. I didn't get it. My only defense is that I, like all 18 year olds, was dumber than a box of rusty hammers at the time. Tom Waits is a national treasure.
  4. A

The Current State Of Classic Country on Streaming Services

I vote for an AM radio at a barbershop. A place with linoleum floors, a few molded fiberglass chairs, a stack of Field & Stream magazines, run by a guy with fading Navy tattoo on his forearm and a haircut you could set your watch to. Nostalgia aside, many classic recordings were made either...
  5. A

Companies that produce midrange ribbon drivers?

Stage Accompany 8535 - Out of production, and above your given $ range, but I do own a pair, and they're lovely. https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650057420-stage-accompany-sa-8535-horn-loaded-planar-ribbon-tweeter-pair/ (not my listing, no relation) 10 pounds of neodymium per driver, so...
  6. A

British Grove Studio's

"And this is the 128 channel Neve console; it's priceless, really..." (Waves tea cup over it)
  7. A

compressor schematic/design for guitar

The sunsetting of DIP packaging is going to be the end of us amateur solder slingers, eh? I built an ET using Merlin's now-discontinued board; it worked well but as a couch noodler I've found I don't use it much.
  8. A

compressor schematic/design for guitar

Have you looked at the Engineer's Thumb?
  9. A

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

> claim that he can hear filter difference down to almost -200dB This amuses me. -200dB what? u? V? FS? That's something raised to the negative 9th power, innit? Regardless, that's gotta be like hearing the lightbulb warm up the room I'm sitting in.
  10. A

Please recommend loudspeaker cable... Professional but not extreme audiophile type

Ancor marine audio cable is tinned the entire length for corrosion resistance, is flexible and lays well: https://ancorproducts.com/en/p/142410/Super-Flex-Audio-Cable-14-2-AWG-2-x
  11. A

Peter Gabriel's 2023 album "I/O"

T-zero plus 3 years, actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_Player A friend who collects interesting dead-ends of consumer tech has one in his collection, next to the General Magic tablet and Nokia sliding keyboards. The UX is... confounding for this GenXer.
  12. A

Who can help a newbie who inherited equipment

Wow, that's quite a legacy; Hartsfields were Statement Pieces in their day. Do you have a big room to enjoy them in? The diagram looks promising. I don't know about the Levinson gear in this case, but most of the Levinson equipment used non-standard connectors ("camac" aka "lemo" aka...
  13. A

Newbie Acoustic Guitar player looking for Audio Interface ?

Something like the Samson G-Track Pro might suit you well. $140 for an all-in-one USB connected device, with switchable Cardioid / Omni condensor mic, onboard monitor for headphones, and a second channel for plugging in a guitar pickup. I don't have direct experience, so confirm that it...
  14. A

Can we imitate loudness dial?

Yes, in principle, you can emulate the function of the Loudness control with the bass and the treble controls. However - a well implemented Loudness will boost with shelving filters at particular frequencies - 70 Hz for the low, 3500 for the high in the case of the CamillaDSP...
Top Bottom