Recent content by alex-z

1. A

Masking, Sones and BSR: Is this a new methodology? I have questions!

Not a new concept at all, just unpopular. Earl Geddes and Lidia Lee did a paper on perceptual weighting of distortion in 2003. http://www.gedlee.com/Papers/Distortion_AES_I.pdf http://www.gedlee.com/Papers/Distortion_AES_II.pdf There is a corresponding GedLee metric you can use, unfortunately...
  2. A

Great driver for single driver no crossover speaker?

The MW13TX is a great woofer, but I wouldn't use any 5" driver for a full-range speaker. To get decent bass you are going to need a lot of excursion which is detrimental to multi-tone distortion. IMO either go 12-15" and sacrifice the top 2-3 octaves or do a 2 way design, something like a...
  3. A

1" dome tweeter vs. 1" compression driver on same size horn / waveguide, SPL & nonlinear distortion comparison

I assume when you say 1 watt you really mean a fixed 2.83 volts?
  4. A

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

Erin absolutely deserves the financial support if needed, but is the company actually suing him? So far I have seen the Tekton designer/owner grumbling in youtube/ASR comments but no actual legal action.
  5. A

How Much Subwoofer Is Enough?

Sounds like that is enough subwoofer for you. Some people will keeping getting bigger drivers, more inert cabinets, more power, etc. I am sure somewhere there is a guy rocking 115dB at 10Hz and 1% THD, meanwhile car alarms are going off outside. If you find yourself looking for an upgrade, add...
  6. A

Are room acoustics better on smaller speakers?

Being pedantic, speaker size does not have a direct correlation with bass extension. Many home theatre or pro audio speakers are built to maximize efficiency and only target an 80Hz crossover point. Not exciting room modes certainly makes treating them unnecessary. Practically speaking however...
  7. A

Auribus Acoustics Sierra Graph

Close enough. How is the distortion and group delay? Perfect tonality doesn't mean much to me if they don't sound good at high volume.
  8. A

New SB Gema DIY 3-way speaker design

They have a 20mH inductor as part of a series notch filter on the woofer. I think it would be smarter to pick a different driver that doesn't need that treatment.
  9. A

DIY speakers

If those are in-room measurements without gating that would explain why you found the tweeter level too high. It appears everything above about 600Hz is elevated by 2dB. Typically you want a flat response from around 100-1000Hz, then a gradual decline towards 20000Hz. There is obviously some...
  10. A

Extending bass response with the help of dsp

Mono subs are usually better than stereo, managing room modes outweighs the small benefit to stereo imaging. Assuming you use a reasonable crossover, anything above 80Hz is a grey area. Subwoofer integration is rarely difficult, the long wavelengths give you a lot of placement flexibility. The...
  11. A

Is this as good as it gets?

True, I was talking about building subs the same physical size as the KEF KF92, just more capable. If you are willing to have bigger cabinets then you can get an awful lot of SPL for cheap.
  12. A

Is this as good as it gets?

There are ways to improve, but not cost effectively. The KEF Blade Meta would perform slightly better but those are $28-35K per pair. You could rip out the passive crossovers and do a full active setup, but that is another $2-3K just in amplifier modules for tiny improvements to the distortion...
  13. A

Acoustic design for 2 ch vs 5.1

That claim doesn't hold water. A lot of basic treatment advice applies regardless of channel count. Using bass traps to reduce tangential and oblique room modes. Using thicker absorption panels to balance spectral decay, rather than deadening only the mid and high ranges. Using diffusers when...
  14. A

Harman Curve for the Low End

That is typical. More bass boost lends itself to enjoyment, despite causing psychoacoustic masking on the mid-bass region. It is also well known that more bass and treble is preferred at low listening volumes. Amplifiers with a "loudness compensation" control have been common since the 1950's...
  15. A

"The Bronco" DIY Studio Monitor

Awesome build. I am sort of shocked your friend didn't just integrate a subwoofer, studio monitors which can play below 40Hz at high SPL are unicorns.
Top Bottom