Recent content by Ajp

1. A

Those of you who believe measurements aren't the whole story, do you have a hypothesis why that is?

I am very late to this party and will, like many others speak to the fact that science can’t explain or change preference idea. But I will add an additional data point to this. Bella Hadid who is absolutely beautiful, is considered by science to be the most beautiful woman in the world . While...
  2. A

Soncoz SGD1 vs PS Audio DirectStream Dac

I have a multimeter, but I don't think it's really worth it at this point to redo the test. The final conclusion won't change.
  3. A

Agreed. I previously had a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Dac. When I turned on the Directstream for the first time, THAT was a night and day difference. I ran a similar test and that one was 100% for the Directstream Dac. I now realize it says more for how bad the stellar dac was than how great DSD is.
  4. A

Well it was certainly hard for me to tell the difference with the phone db meter so I would tend to agree.
  5. A

Could be, a phone db meter only gets you so far.
  6. A

Well if you want to send me a professional DB meter I would happy take it...
  7. A

I realize I should have posted this as a separate thread vs attached to the review. Ok, so I have spent the last few hours with a buddy running ABX tests of the Soncoz SGD1 vs the PS Audio DSD. Before we get into results, @amirm I really wonder whether you got a DSD that just had a bad...
  8. A

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

Ok, so I have spent the last few hours with a buddy running ABX tests of the Soncoz SGD1 vs the PS Audio DSD. Before we get into results, @amirm I really wonder whether you got a DSD that just had a bad transformer. I just have never experienced what you measured and this test showed that as...
  9. A

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

I just bought this dac to compare it against my PS Audio Directstream DAC (gasp). I really enjoy the sound of the DSD but am open to the possibility that I simply haven’t heard a “Proper measuring” dac to compare it against and could hate it afterward. Will set up a blind test using some helpers...
  10. A

Elac Adante AS-61 Speaker Review

I borrowed these speakers to test them out and I was also not a fan. I think the internal driver to passive radiator didn’t work out nearly as well in reality as it did in theory. Bass seemed bloated, slow and not nearly as impactful as it’s size would imply. It also didn’t seem to time align...
  11. A

Review and Measurements of PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC

Why buy a clean DAC then buy a distortion laden preamp? Isn’t that just as bad of measured purity is the aim? I have to disagree that it is the least useful part of the review (I clarified my ask there in a later post). As noted, I am not an engineer, I don’t know what affect the poor...
  12. A

A blind test that wasn’t level matched would have led me to dislike this DAC as it would have been significantly quieter because of the lower XLR output and the human ears belief that louder is better. So I would assume the opposite would have been the case were they not level matched. I agree...
  13. A

Apologies, I should have been clearer. Would it be possible to point out the tracks you are listening to and when these points arise point those out. I would love to listen to the same tracks and listen for that same distortion. As they likely fall at extremes of the range it would possibly make...
  14. A

Yikes, these are painful to read. I know you are preaching science, but do you need to beat someone down with it? Music is not just about audible perfection. Something can measure poorly and still be very enjoyable because those imperfections flavor the music in a way that some find enjoyable...
Top Bottom