Recent content by ad_fletch

1. ad_fletch

New mini-chassis Dirac enabled AVRs announced by AudioControl

Looks like the Bijou3 is 5.1 and the CXR5 is 7.1. I wonder if the outputs can be reassigned - I’m happy with 5.1 (ok maybe 5.2), but I’d probably want the built-in amps to do surrounds and centre, not LCR. Then I could use the 2 preouts for the mains. Love the idea of a cool-running, compact...
  2. ad_fletch

ARC Genesis results

Thanks will try.
  3. ad_fletch

ARC Genesis results

Just an update on the bass situation. Annoyingly, having sold my UMIK-1, I've had to do a quite rudimentary analysis of the subs' output using a tone generator and SPL meter because those are the only tools I have to verify what ARC Genesis is telling me. Using the handy Anthem remote control...
  4. ad_fletch

McIntosh MHT300 AV Receiver

Luckily they have the $7k Beosound Theatre as an option ;)
  5. ad_fletch

As someone who uses a Hypex amp (with Anthem processing) for his own main HT speakers, I'm inclined to agree. It's weird though, because often these kinds of reviews hype up the expensive products, and the McIntosh is $8k (!) vs $1600 for the Emotiva. Maybe it's just the trend of Class-D...
  6. ad_fletch

Andrew Robinson is obviously not doing the kind of reviews that ASR members are usually looking for, but I came across his review of this McIntosh a couple of days ago and it prompted me to look for this thread. He claims that the Hypex amps make bullets zinging by and explosions etc sound...
  7. ad_fletch

ARC Genesis results

Might be wrong here as I'm finding it a bit difficult to pin down the info, but I think ARC Genesis can only correct phase/timing for multiple subs on MRX1140, AVM70/90 and STR models. Happy to be corrected, but surely with their twinned sub outputs, the MRX540 and 740 wouldn't be able to set...
  8. ad_fletch

So, a retro sealed sub, miniDSP, and a Denon walk into a bar...

I did indeed, thanks for sharing. Bit disappointed not to be able to see those mid-century modern enclosures though. I also had a spare woofer lying around, but the only affordable sealed enclosure I could find was a carpeted car sub box. Making is too hard with no workshop and kids underfoot...
  9. ad_fletch

ARC Genesis results

Guilty as charged! This is a very interesting thread for me. I last ran ARCG 1.5.4 using my MRX 310 just over a year ago, and apart from low sub levels was pretty happy with the results. I verified the low deep bass with REW at the time, but have since sold my UMIK-1 unfortunately, so can't do...
  10. ad_fletch

Subwoofer for Genelec 8030 very rectangular livingroom setup

I also had to set up a similar system when i was living in Geneva - even though I'm in Australia now, I have sympathy for the Swiss "mode de vie"! Have actually been considering ASW610 amongst others for my home office system. Low auto-on sensitivity seems to be a common issue, and I think I...
  11. ad_fletch

Subwoofer for Genelec 8030 very rectangular livingroom setup

I see no replies to this one, so you've probably solved it, but I'll throw in my 2c just in case. I have a sub in a moderate-sized living room which is 12" and sealed like the SB-1000. I find it to be quite flexible - you can of course always turn it down if you find it's a bit much, but if you...
  12. ad_fletch

Current best value general USB DAC/AMP dongle?

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to get an Apple dongle to tide me over (for PC use not Android phone).
  13. ad_fletch

Current best value general USB DAC/AMP dongle?

Just came across this thread - did you end up liking the Whizzer DA1? I wouldn't mind picking up a dongle with volume buttons, but only if it works consistently (like my Meizu hi-fi pro).
  14. ad_fletch

Amir's 2023 Pacific Audio Fest Report Continued

Everything's bigger in the US - we (Australia) only have about 8% of the US' population, and (it seems) fewer manufacturers than we had in the 90s when I first got into audio. It's still an enjoyable show though.
  15. ad_fletch

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Hello @RF Air and welcome to you too. I think this forum has caused many of us to doubt our setups, but then go on to measure them and benefit accordingly. Anyway one question about yours - why keep an 80s AVR in there to drive your centre channel? Surely the 4800H is more than capable of...
Top Bottom