Recent content by ablearcher

1. A

N00b RPi Streamer question

I’m setting up a RPi 4 as a music streamer and I’m after some advice on OS/streamer software. Currently I’m using a Synology NAS which has its own proprietary music streaming software - DS Audio - which allows me to use an Android app to play music either via the USB audio output on the NAS...
  2. A

Media server vs NAS

Sounds like the QNAP is probably a good option for you. I looked briefly at a picture of it earlier and thought it was a 2-bay, but looking at it online I see it's a 4-bay so probably has the storage space you need. Get some decent disks to go in it - be aware that some current WD Red products...
  3. A

RPi streamer advice

Thanks all for the advice - went ahead and ordered an RPi4 with a heatsink case. I may get the urge to try out an S/PDIF hat in a few months just to see if I can tell a difference with some A/B testing but it sounds like this will do just fine for now while I start looking more seriously at...
  4. A

Media server vs NAS

I've been running a similar setup with a Synology NAS for a few years now and it's been really good. I've got no idea what QNAP is like in terms of interface, but I've been connecting my Syno directly to my DAC by USB and streaming from there (it has an android app for controlling playback). I'd...
  5. A

RPi streamer advice

Thanks for the thoughts! Sounds like the way to go might be a separate DAC via USB - I read the review of the Schiit Modius elsewhere on this forum and it sounded pretty decent for the price, but not in stock at the moment. I'll check out the Sanskritt as well, and maybe look at Atomic Pi - not...
  6. A

RPi streamer advice

I'm looking to upgrade my current streaming setup (Synology NAS > Parasound P5 > Emotiva XPA-200 > B&W CM9's) and after doing countless hours of internet research, naturally I'm now even more confused! :p Currently I've got the NAS hooked directly to the P5 via USB, but the NAS itself is now...
Top Bottom