Recent content by 6speed

1. 6speed

Sorbothane for stand mounts

I have use sorbothane before, experimenting with the area and thickness. In extreme cases, it can make a difference I could feel with your hand, but not enough that I was able to measure an improvement with a mic. Do it because it's a fun project and you like overengineering your already heavy...
  2. 6speed

Wild places, post em if you got em...

Check out the zoomable 500Mp version and see if you can find the hotel at the base of where it gets steep. You need ropes to go any farther up.
  3. 6speed

Wild places, post em if you got em...

South Rim of Grand Canyon: Zion, from Angel's Landing: Thorsmork, in Iceland:
  4. 6speed

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

The NC400 modules stay cool. The SMPS600 run hot because they are inadequately heatsinked, and I doubled its load by building stereo modules. However, I have active speakers and my power requirements per channel are low. If you want a more reliable PS, use the SMPS1200A400. The other thing...
  5. 6speed

Sorbothane for stand mounts

Sorbothane sheets come with plastic on both sides. Just get a small sheet and cut some strips or squares. Leave the plastic on the speaker side (or both sides) and you won’t have to worry about removing it later. Since you’re bolting the speaker down, you don’t need the Sorbothane’s tackiness...
  6. 6speed

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

@amirm How much leakage these headphones have? IOW, would someone next to you hear high frequencies leaking out, or are they essentially silent at long term listening levels?
  7. 6speed

Closed back headphone isolation

Thanks for the info. I would have expected closed-back headphones without active noise cancellation to have their isolation and leakage graphs track each other, but that's not the case, and the discrepancy seems to vary between models. The Aeons seem to have average isolation <1kHz and...
  8. 6speed

Closed back headphone isolation

I have been using open back Sennheisers forever, and am now wondering if it's possible to switch to something like the Aeon RT and have someone next to me not hear any music bleeding through. How much isolation do closed back headphones really offer?
  9. 6speed

Pre-ringing with linear phase room EQ filters

@Le Concombre I recommend making measurements at 2-3ft and seeing if the FR or phase response >500Hz could use any tweaking. If I am looking at your FR graphs properly, they look like decent room responses already. I wouldn't make any measurements at the LP unless you are verifying room...
  10. 6speed

AudioQuest Wind High-end Cable Review

@amirm Your cheapie cable had arrows on it. Is the shield really only attached at one end, and does it make a measurable difference to the transformer mains noise test connected one direction or the other?
  11. 6speed

Humbly presenting my DIY.

How did you cut the star pattern into the felt? I always thought that always looked impossible to DIY by hand
  12. 6speed

UL rating for power cables

Point taken about total heat dissipation / distance.
  13. 6speed

This is the last thing in my stereo I am worried about, but nothing else needs upgrading at the moment, so this just something interesting to research. There is a lot of contradictory information that is easy to dismiss on the grounds that you can do anything you want with all those power cords...
  14. 6speed

The Belden cable in the link above is 300V 60deg C, which seems to be a common theme Googling around and may be the standard for SJT cables. Looking around my house, all of my high current power cables (removable or not) are either 60deg C or 105deg C, regardless of the gauge. I would think...
  15. 6speed

Any thoughts from a practical/DIY standpoint?
Top Bottom