Recent content by 600_OHM

1. 6

FM, any listeners left?

Many of these small multiband radios driven by dsp are using the Silicon Labs (SiLabs) 47xx dsp chipset. Basically low power versions of most modern vehicular receivers. And shortwave etc, but I'm just concentrating on FM broadcast where these shine by default. Most can look up the datasheets...
  2. 6

FM, any listeners left?

I'm not laughing at the Radiowow R-108 - as long as one listens with headphones, or uses that headphone output to feed an amp. I'm concentrating on analog FM use. I related to it pretty quickly, because I'm a fan of the CCrane Skywave portable that blew my mind which is made in the same...
  3. 6

Cat News?

Inside every grumpy-cat is also a hidden avante-garde artiste trying to get out. Here is a grumpy-cat who insisted on making a video way back with Bjork. (Sorry, seem to have Bjork on the brain - it might be a condition... ) This is the kind of stuff your cat might be listening to when you...
  4. 6

Electronica/dance/techno/et cetera.

Is it wrong of me to still love 808-State and KLF? Or does that make me a grandpa? I mean, play this for the kids and get a blank stare? What's wrong with you kids these days? :) 808 State - featuring Bjork! Goes together like peanut butter on a Ritz cracker! An Oreo cookie! A...
  5. 6

Does anyone remember VHS HIFI ?

That would sure make in interesting test. I told myself it could get close to reel-to-reel in my mind, but unfortunately, had no way to prove it. Not even the guys on usenet knew either. Somewhere out there in somebody's garage is my VHS hifi tape with this on it when I was going through my...
  6. 6

Cat News?

Awww! Had a few memorable cats adopt us over the years. Once you realize that in *their* minds, WE are the pets, everthing is cool! :) The cat news thread title cracked me up, because one of the things I did to all the cats I owned was test them: Go into the living-room with a newspaper, get...
  7. 6

OMG! Yep, mine was JVC but I forget the model. Still searching.. However, this video takes me back to the 6 months or so when I thought it might be viable - since you know, VHS will just simply be around forever! :)
  8. 6

You know, maybe it was JVC? I have a hard time remembering because it didn't last long for me. These days, I just record everything in OGG format and hope it will outlive me....
  9. 6

Hah! Same here. 2-hour mode only, which was still convenient for double-albums. Although by that time, I did have trouble trying to find the "good audio quality" vhs tapes and paid $$ for them. Ultimately, it was just kind of a pita despite the good sound. Reminded me of my days when my...
  10. 6

Same here, with manual level control on mine, it was the only reason I tried it as ALC was always junk. Problem was I was always fearful of hurting the tapes and got into nerd-like maintenance - like after listening to it 5 times or so, where it never reached the end naturally on it's own, I...
  11. 6

Heh, yeah I need to cruise some vintage vhs deck images to see if I can find mine again. I may be wrong, but I think there was a separate audio only input, and remember thinking to myself that nearly nobody would use this feature. I think that dedicated audio heads, different from the main...
  12. 6

This memory came back to me about the early 90's - doing VHS HIFI with a Sony deck. Details elude me as they fade since I only did it for a very short time. I put quite a few treasured LP's on it, until they started stacking up, interest waned and so forth. I do remember though that my deck...
  13. 6

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

Dave Cutler is that you? :) Time for some humor... DEC said the same thing about ATT UNIX decades earlier over the phone to a prospective customer asking about it with this fictitious phone call ... "Sir, are you *really* going to bet your company's operation and reputation on something...
  14. 6

Smartphones will kill off DSLR's soon/

Ah, the viewfinder scene. That's kind of a problem even with phone snappers because you are naturally holding the camera/phone out in front of you - usually straight in front where your body is naturally hinged to and fro. Like a dippy-bird. Gotta' teach these snapshooters the basics - twist...
  15. 6

Composition of a Square Wave (important!)

Ah, this is making me want to break out a moog synth! :) First time I ever saw a square wave demonstrated was by Wendy Carlos in this clip. Filters and envelope generators ! Too young to really understand but was mesmerized!
Top Bottom