Recent content by 3ll3d00d

1. 3ll3d00d

Why aren't cinemas targeting sub 20hz response?

The suggested mechanism is quite simple Human auditory system is sensitive to pressure Sound intensity is product of pressure and velocity (both vectors) Human non auditory senses are sensitive to intensity Thus changing the particle velocity for a given spl can feel different yet have no...
  2. 3ll3d00d

You can do your own research to learn more about that science stuff :) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_intensity The threads on the subject on avs were long and died years ago so you can read them at your leisure if you like.
  3. 3ll3d00d

this makes v little sense, you only have to look at the many measurements of ported subs to know this the threads that went into this suggest that the relevant mechanism is sound intensity (which is pressure * particle velocity) and that this drives tactile sensation, around tune a ported sub...
  4. 3ll3d00d

this would vary with room more than anything this has been measured though, it's not a big factor in many rooms.
  5. 3ll3d00d

Assorted threads on avsforum on this subject over the years, consensus there is increased particle velocity (for a given spl vs a sealed sub) is the root cause
  6. 3ll3d00d

Iron Man 2 is your typical hump at 30Hz soundtrack albeit the roll off from there is not as extreme as other soundtracks See https://beqcatalogue.readthedocs.io/en/latest/aron7awol/56759546 for details, given timestamps of the above scene then it is easy to zoom in on that section of the track
  7. 3ll3d00d

Configuring a PC as a 8-ch pre/pro experiment

The first one, I use a motu 1248 as the main device with another dac slaved to it. 5.1 system with 2 sub channels and 3 way LCR. I use the jriver convolver and peq for media played back in jriver which is fine (and would stay in use as jriver keeps video in sync with audio irrespective of filter...
  8. 3ll3d00d

Configuring a PC as a 8-ch pre/pro experiment

anyone come across anything other than jriver that can fulfil this role and can do > 8 channels? I use jriver atm but some stability when using the WDM driver mean I am looking for an alternative, need 13 channel output though.
  9. 3ll3d00d

Philharmonic BMR Speaker Review

nice review. I don't think this is true though. Google suggests this uses an LR4 at 600 & 3500Hz so you'd expect to see these 3 separate peaks in the step response. To illustrate, a quick sim in vituixcad of that same XO and a port tune of about 30Hz gives which is pretty much the same as the...
  10. 3ll3d00d

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Swap the wires on both the input from the XLR and the output to the speakers so the resulting output retains the same polarity. Hypex engineering comment that best results mean using an even number of modules but find it hard to say the extent to which supply pumping will be an issue. This is...
  11. 3ll3d00d

DIY Purifi Amp builds

They just require a DXF file showing what you want. Details in https://modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=product/product&path=263&product_id=490
  12. 3ll3d00d

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Only applies to the 3k, the others don't have the same limitation
  13. 3ll3d00d

DIY Purifi Amp builds

worth noting that the smps3k needs you to wire half the connected modules out of phase (for signal input and loudspeaker output) if using below 100Hz, I guess this will be a problem if supplying an odd number of channels.
  14. 3ll3d00d

Audyssey Room EQ Review

Audyssey has issues (default target curves, mid range dip, overcorrection at high frequencies in some cases, bass/mains alignment) but adequate resolution for a decent job at modal correction has never been one of them (as far as I recall anyway). They use as multi rate filter to improve...
  15. 3ll3d00d

2012 Absolute Sound review of the Steinway Lyngdorf Model S amp/speaker system

That is already the case, those products exist today to run on a pc. Mostly it is DRM (for films) and convenience/ease of use that pushes towards DSP hardware.
Top Bottom