Recent content by 375HP2482

1. 3

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

Stand it? Unless you're listening for it, it's not that obvious. Subtle and not unpleasant. If that bothers you, you probably aren't getting much enjoyment out of music anyway. This speaker gives as much musical pleasure as can be expected in a small bookshelf unit while freeing up more...
  2. 3

Perceptual Effects of Room Reflections

I have found headphones are better for mixing simply because you can hear more detail due to the absence of room reflections. However, though balancing instruments is easier on headphones, reverb is needed to fill out the dry sound. Then, what may sound like a proper amount of reverb in a...
  3. 3

Those Olive numbers may be representative of a cohort of residential living rooms with abundant uncovered sheetrock. In my room with my speakers, no way. Listening window dominates, as I'll wager it also does in most purpose-built rooms. I have surrounds for late, not early, reflections.
  4. 3

Hopefully you kept the shipping material. As the A-130s are in short supply these days, keep them as a reference long enough to identify something you do like. Then, like anything else, sell them to someone who wants them. Simple as that.
  5. 3

Man, mine are right up against the wall. I just turn the Bass control down a couple.
  6. 3

One can read similar reports about the successful adaptations amputees make over time.
  7. 3

JBL A130 distortion compared in-room with several similar monitors.

Is there a particular reason why the 106 dB measurements for the JBL 530 are not present? Did I miss something with my off-brand browser? That level may seem excessive to some, but it equates roughly to 86 dB at 10 feet. Which is not unreasonably loud on occasion.
  8. 3

^^ Not surprising, as measurements show significantly more bass output than the LS50, which measure as below average in the bass department. With a sub the LS-50 likely needs a crossover point of 120 Hz or higher, while the A-130 can perform well with an 80 Hz sub xover. Or, as you and I have...
  9. 3

Well... these speakers are not bright. They are voiced to the B&K/Harman "house curve," which means response decreasing slightly as frequencies increase. Which is OK when playing at/above the B&K levels of 83 dB or so. At lower levels they can use a touch of the Treble control, as can most...
  10. 3

That's a good one, haven't heard it. In that vein, Bob Carver would have replied, "I'm not sure. How would you like me to feel?"
  11. 3

Dr. Amar Bose is smiling down on you.
  12. 3

I bought mine from Crutchfield when they were on sale two months ago. They were on sale again last week, but Crutchfield now shows "Discontinued" on its website. Amazon says "Currently unavailable" -- Amazon ships through Crutchfield. A brown vinyl one appears on e-Bay for $720! Thing is...
  13. 3

This speaker is, for me, a more remarkable piece of engineering than the comparable Revels, as this one had to hit a demanding price point that the Revels don't have to think about. It even gets some of the Revel white-cone treatment, an echo of the old JBL LE-15 et al. Hope no one gets...
  14. 3

^^ I acquired the JBL Stage A-130 as a desktop speaker a few months ago for half of what the Aussies have to pay. Knowing what I know now, I would gladly pay 499 AUD ($388 USD) for the two-tone brown vinyl Aussie flavor of this speaker.
  15. 3

While remodeling our house a few years ago, I had an interesting experience along these lines. This old shack, built ninety years ago, was thrown up with redwood siding on the outside and dark T&G on the inside -- an old cabin-like affect. My wife had moved in earlier, and wanted a modern...
Top Bottom