Recent content by 375HP2482

1. 3

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

A good specimen of Klippel and Toole-based design, but it's hard to get excited about an 81 dB speaker whose bass doubles like crazy when powered up. I hope that emphasizing "in-room sensitivity" doesn't become a trend, especially in attempts to rehabilitate units with low anechoic numbers.
  2. 3

Speakers from last century that you love

I remember coveting these as in high school in the Sixties. They were being demonstrated by a local shop at the time, was really impressed with the bass (even though it was mostly playing The Tijuana Brass). Massive woofer in these.
  3. 3

AIYIMA A70 Stereo Amplifier Review

I don't see the wisdom of wrapping a blanket around an encapsulated power supply that relies on ambient convection cooling.
  4. 3

Noise is the ballgame. These days THD is swamped by transducers. Anyone using pro components, especially compression drivers, realizes this.
  5. 3

The THD in the A70 is not superior, but still quite transparent. The most significant improvement, besides load-independence, is noise performance. This A70 is 9 dB quieter than the V3.
  6. 3

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

That Sony receiver looks even better than the $200 Yamaha recently reviewed. Fifty bucks less, plus a Phono preamp.
  7. 3

Also note that, in this modest example of PFFB, there is negligible reduction in load-dependent VHF response.
  8. 3

Those curious about Texas Instruments' earlier work with PFFB might check out this Application Note: https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa788a/slaa788a.pdf
  9. 3

These issues are so minor Erin had to resort to a graphical magnifying glass to make a point. Which might be relevant some day when we see loudspeaker measurements also utilizing 0.1 dB grids.
  10. 3

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

I don't think the noisy computer would have as much impact on the SINAD as the existing power supply artifacts.
  11. 3

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

Lookimg at that clump of large electrolytics I thought there must be a power amplifier in there somewhere. You know, like a pony...
  12. 3

No. This would be superfluous for a person who has everything. This is the gift you give to someone new to home stereo to short-circuit any erstwhile hobbyist "upgrade" urges so they can simplify and focus on their music.
  13. 3

It will rock a pair of Polk T50s a lot more, with enough money left over to fund an Eclipse trip for many.
  14. 3

An external supply would have been useful for the earlier Wiim Amps that exhibited p.s. coil noise -- just replace the supply. And the Amp itself could have been half its current size if designed that way. I have a feeling that reducing this Amp's size and weight from its current heft might...
  15. 3

I have yet to meet the mortal who can detect a 1 dB change at 20 kHz.
Top Bottom