Recent content by 0ldSchool

1. 0ldSchool

Yamaha 2024 range, A8B, A6B, A4B 2024 announcement...!!??

I WONDERED the same thing (would Yamaha incorporate what they've learned from the super surround theater in their next AVRs), since from 1984 (and possible before) Yamaha's sound processing has incorporated their analyses of recordings made in different environments. The Yamaha tag line...
  2. 0ldSchool

Yamaha 2024 range, A8B, A6B, A4B 2024 announcement...!!??

In answer to your comments and questions regarding use of DSP modes, musicality and my RX-A3080, let me say... I have access to systems worth in excess of $50K and have not found sound more pleasing than that from Tidal [MQA or not], coming directly over (low jitter) fiber to my premises, fed...
  3. 0ldSchool

S.M.S.L. SD-9 Set-Up and Basic Review

I had total hip replacement the last week of July. I have not been on this forum since about a week before that surgery. I am finally (I think - will find out in next couple of days) able to get down on hands and knees to look and take pictures of the X-16 and SD-9. Both units are sitting on the...
  4. 0ldSchool

Glad your reboots are less frequent. For me too, the irritating operating characteristics upon my first three hours of use have almost disappeared. I would almost be tempted to say it is EFM (electronic effing magic), but I don't believe that. You are correct - mconnect does not offer the...
  5. 0ldSchool

Regarding #1, I never lost my personal settings and have not had spontaneous reboots in the past 7-9 days. #2. YES - my I2S output to DAC reverses L/R channels. The "invert" switch in SD-9 (or via mconnect) settings corrects the L/R channel reversal. #3. After the first two hours of using the...
  6. 0ldSchool

Hmmm - First I tried the cut you asked about: https://tidal.com/track/3650032 . It has the same clarity from the beginning and specifically 1:19 into the song, the whisper, percussion, and second voice coming in is spectacular. The stats mconnect is showing: 1058 kbps; FLAC; 44.1; 16 bit...
  7. 0ldSchool

For clarity, this review covers the S.M.S.L. SD-9 Music Streamer. While the SD-9 does have a rudimentary DAC, I will never use the DAC function as my DAC is the Gustard X-16. I purchased the SD-9 to be able to stream TIDAL or Qobuz from the Internet, via Ethernet to my DAC. Why that...
  8. 0ldSchool

I have not gotten into acquiring or playing DSD files yet - so will have to wait for another member to reply to that. I can confirm that somehow, the I2S output when streaming TIDAL has the channels reversed on my unit, just like you have reported.
  9. 0ldSchool

So one at a time (meaning multiple posts, as time permits). Assuming faculty=factory above, depending on HOW the unit is shut down, it will retain the user settings or reset to factory settings. *See first photo, below, from manual - the manual seems to be saying if power is removed while ON...
  10. 0ldSchool

One of the Torx screws on the bottom of my unit was inserted crooked (maybe cross-threaded), so I am going to leave it intact, unless someone can send me to a site which shows an easy tear-down of the SU-9. As far as clocks - I can't find this anywhere. It does use two clocks at 22.5792 & 24.576...
  11. 0ldSchool

Most of us in this forum may not need these extensive instructions. As a guy doing tech support informally for decades and then as a career the last 6 years of my working life, and now again informally for friends and neighbors, I attempted to answer the many questions someone less skilled might...
  12. 0ldSchool

Because of experience: MQA doesn't play off an SSD - my nephew went the RPi 4 route. Volumio not up to the task based on our expectations built from using TIDAL Connect - and after eliminating Volumio, I was not going to run a Roon endpoint. The SD-9 offered me what I wanted at only $150 (US$)...
  13. 0ldSchool

Amazon Basics 12 gauge speaker cable

Amazon has so many listings for 12 gauge wire, it seems that some reviews for disappointing wire are posted in the bulk (100-200 ft.) cable review. After reading recent reviews, I was delighted to see the same quality cable still being shipped. That's why I dropped the link into my comment - to...
  14. 0ldSchool

As you approach more than 60 years old and see many of your friends taken out by tripping and falling, your priorities may change concerning cables and flooring. Or your significant other who put up with your LessLoss power cables and 12 gauge speaker wire openly exposed may suddenly say ENOUGH...
Top Bottom