• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One rarely sees the coils placed perpendicular in class D amps. This seems like a sensible things to do. It’s clear that the bulk of the magic happens in the feedback or driver circuitry underneath the black cover.

Calleberg

One rarely sees the coils placed perpendicular in class D amps. This seems like a sensible things to do. It’s clear that the bulk of the magic happens in the feedback or driver circuitry underneath the black cover.

Indeed, if there is just a plain old TPA3251 underneath that heatsink, the implementation is better that what TI themselves implies is possible in their own documentation, even WITH PFFB

JimFarrell29

You might want to look at Hifigo who have it for a out £250 ish and take care of tax and delivery. I have bought a out three times from them and never any issues.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This black cover is teasing like this! :D

teasing.jpg

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, I can also tell the difference between ESS chip and AKM ( I assume that to be the difference :cool:), I have both SMSL M400 and Gustard X16, M400 is both my and others preference, measured spec is nigh on identical.
I have had Hypex NC 400 before Benchmark AHB2.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I can also tell the difference between ESS chip and AKM ( I assume that to be the difference :cool:), I have both SMSL M400 and Gustard X16, M400 is both my and others preference, measured spec is nigh on identical.
Having all that stuff is no proof. Did you ever do a double blind test?

Calleberg

You think you can listen to an amp and know if it’s class A, AB or D?

The PA5 is not as stunningly god above 6kHz, (just pretty damn good).A decent AB amp would likely perform somewhat better here(but there are countless examples of "hi end" gear that does not)but would also be much more expensive. My point is, for a trained ear it might be possible to hear this. I don't think I could though :) But it is at least plausible others like misterdog could. Then there is the question of preference, lets not get into that... ;)

Below is a measurement of the PA5 measured with a very flattering 20kHz BandWidth but also "proper" bandwith which is more fair when comparing with Conventional amps

Attachments

• 2090bw.png
    2090bw.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Eggs Ackley

Here's my highly uneducated guess. Two bridged Infineon MA5332MS chips with black magic feedback inside the can.

howard416

The PA5 is not as stunningly god above 6kHz, (just pretty damn good).A decent AB amp would likely perform somewhat better here(but there are countless examples of "hi end" gear that does not)but would also be much more expensive. My point is, for a trained ear it might be possible to hear this. I don't think I could though :) But it is at least plausible others like misterdog could. Then there is the question of preference, lets not get into that... ;)

Below is a measurement of the PA5 measured with a very flattering 20kHz BandWidth but also "proper" bandwith which is more fair when comparing with Conventional amps
Nah. The IMD is already shown to be practically inaudible, and the HD in this region would only be 2nd and 3rd order. Both are not easy to discern and at their levels we can expect from this amp, won't be audible at all in the high treble region.

Papaya_X

If PA5 is running with a TPA325X would it be disappointing compared to more modern chipset ?
And why ? I mean, if the measurements are better... maybe the chipset isn't worth more than its implementation, therefore the price would be justified compared to its competitor (Sabaj A20a, SMSL AO200, ...)
And soundwise, it shouldn't be different than those, right ?

Papaya_X

Here's my highly uneducated guess. Two bridged Infineon MA5332MS chips with black magic feedback inside the can.
seems not possible because the max switching frequency of the MA5332MS is 500Khz, Amirm reports a switching frequency of 600Khz that fits particularly well with the TPA3251 as xrk971 suggested post #240

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Uh huh

Top Bottom