• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli JNOG Review (Balanced DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 39 18.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 98 46.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 69 32.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did not say its a prototype... But i was assuming Prototypes are not interesting because they are not available to the general public.
This is also not Available to the public. for a different reason but the result is the same.
I feel the same way about other items no longer in production (vintage or no) but you are right, I cant recall how many were available but I think it was in the hundreds, not thousands. I didnt go for the preorder as I had no need.

Its a review of a curiosity and would much rather Amir have reviewed the currently available DAC- there is a new one imminent too.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With geshelli I'm most interested in their E2 amp, their own measurements show 121dB SINAD at 1khz 4V and 123dB at 5V. It has its charm too with this wood.
rs=w_1200,h_1200.jpeg

Walter

@Walter,
It is completely invalid to compare/judge the price called for this to something similar produced by SMSL, Topping etc. Geshelli is a microscopically small US-based company which means all their cost factors are at least 10x of what those global asian players see. As far as I can see, Geshelli actually isn't even making any net profit from their products.

How long does it take you folks finally get this?
If they cannot compete with the prices of the bigger players, and they can't outperform them, and they have no other advantages, they will never be a successful company. That is about as basic a business concept as it gets. So either you are wrong, or they will fail--assuming they actually want to make a profit and are not running it as a hobby. The absolute first question anyone should ask themselves before starting a new business or launching a new product that is not the first of its kind is, "Why should someone buy this instead of another product that already exists?" They can't even compete based on being a U.S. manufacturer, as Schiit is, also. In addition, new companies without lots of financial backing have to overcome the worry that they will no longer be around in the future if their product needs repair. So if it can't compete on price, either the product needs to outperform its competitors, be of noticeably higher build quality, or have some other attribute such as attractive appearance that sets it apart. (Or a very large advertising and marketing budget.) This fails on all fronts. The ONLY reason I can see for someone buying this, if it were still available, at $250 is if they just want to support the company. They won't stay in business with only those customers.

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I understand the appeal of acrylic cases for these small companies, as it's cheap, there is basically no tooling costs for them, and they can just laser cut them to get a custom product.

However using an OTS case with some customization would yield a much nicer looking product, and wouldn't add too much to the overall cost.

Walter

I understand the appeal of acrylic cases for these small companies, as it's cheap, there is basically no tooling costs for them, and they can just laser cut them to get a custom product.

However using an OTS case with some customization would yield a much nicer looking product, and wouldn't add too much to the overall cost.
Yeah, especially if they are going to sell VERY expensive wood cases.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My goodness, you guys are being so nice about how absolutely sh#t this so-called commercial product looks, tests and presents. It's just utter crap. The LPF at -10dB@22k is the giveaway.

At what point does someone call out this "PCB-in-a-can grade 10 science project" for what it is?

At least Topping try- a little. This thing is emabrassing. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
My goodness, you guys are being so nice about how absolutely sh#t this so-called commercial product looks, tests and presents. It's just utter crap.

At what point does someone call out this "PCB-in-a-can grade 10 science project" for what it is?

At least Topping try- a little. This thing is emabrassing. :facepalm:
Don't hold back, tell us what you really think. :p

Lambda

Major Contributor
VERY expensive wood cases.
Relatively expensive... depending on the quantity they making this ceases in or getting them made. this is not so expensive

My goodness, you guys are being so nice about how absolutely sh#t this so-called commercial product looks and presents. It's just utter crap.

At least Topping try, a little.
What is the problem with this?
Thy using a cases that is very cost optimized for low volume production.
There prices are not to expensive for low volume production.
Performance is better then most other products.

So if you think you can make it cheaper, better, in a nicer case and sell it for profit. go ahead and send Your DAC to Amir ;)

pma

Major Contributor
IMD test has dual tones: 60 Hz and 7 kHz. We see a second harmonic of 60 Hz peaking up, reducing performance. We will see further investigation of this in other measurements below.

This is interesting, rise of distortion and noise at low frequencies.

index.php

What was the output level, would you have some time to try at say -2dBFS?
Don't they use link transformers at the output? Or just miserable quality of output electrolyte/ceramic coupling caps?

Walter

Relatively expensive... depending on the quantity they making this ceases in or getting them made. this is not so expensive.
They are expensive even if they only make one--just not very profitable.

KSTR

Major Contributor

KSTR

Major Contributor
My goodness, you guys are being so nice about how absolutely sh#t this so-called commercial product looks, tests and presents. It's just utter crap. The LPF at -10dB@22k is the giveaway.
Sorry, but that just is the standard digital filter response most DAC chips have, you cannot blame Geshelli. Only very few DAC chips have a true brickwall option for the filter.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Sorry, but that just is the standard digital filter response most DAC chips have, you cannot blame Geshelli. Only very few DAC chips have a true brickwall option for the filter.

So, you think Geshelli are good to release a product that doesn't come remotely close to what is required to reproduce the full 20-20kHz range of audio, with low distortion, 40 years after Compact Disc was released?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With geshelli I'm most interested in their E2 amp, their own measurements show 121dB SINAD at 1khz 4V and 123dB at 5V. It has its charm too with this wood.
View attachment 169601
Then cedar option is where it's at for me. Repels insects, smells nice too as well as having a gorgeous wood grain when coated with clear coat.
cedar.png

Top Bottom