• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Funny of all the headphones I have had or own these are the ones I find to be the least accurate. Sibilant highs which makes critical decisions on cymbals near impossible and annoying in listening, and a real lack of bass. With eq they are ok though but very far from a game change. They are good though at detective work and trying to hear noises or artifacts in cleaning up audio gremlins.
Have I wandered into the wrong thread? I thought we were discussing the Genelec 8361A.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
As the 8361A costs the same as DD 8C and kii 3 but lacks the built in subs
Does it make it much more inferior?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Pros and cons to all three imo. Compared to the other 2, the 8361 gives up some extension and directivity control to play louder and with less distortion. It's also more well behaved in the vertical plane.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I can't say I'd be disappointed with a speaker that comfortably extends down into the 30hz area of things. 30hz is very near the bottom of a piano's range - the lowest fundamental on a normal piano is an A0 at 27.5hz.

Besides that, calling what the 8C and Kii have "subs" is a bit optimistic. Yeah, they reach down pretty much flat to 20hz - but look at Erin's distortion graphs. Both the 8C and the Kii are up above 10% THD down that low even at 86dB SPL. The 8361s on the other hand seem to genuinely not get severely distorted even in the bass region until you get up to eardrum shattering levels (up over 105dB/1m for one speaker, which is insanely loud). We're talking ~3% THD at 96dB/1m at 50hz in the 8361, if I'm looking at Amir's graphs right.

To reach that kind of distortion performance, the Kiis need subs - ideally, the BXTs, but that's close to doubling the price. The 8Cs need some kind of sub as well - I know my mastering engineer uses a pair of Rythmik F12Gs with his 8Cs.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
8361A costs the same as DD 8C and kii 3
Is there actually a place where the Kii 3 is that cheap or the others are that much more? In the US/Canada at least, the Kii is significantly more expensive at $7500 USD/ea. The 8C is about the same as the 8361($5K) in the studio version or a bit more if you want the nicer looking version with more features.

Newman

Major Contributor
They are all “much more inferior” than much cheaper setups that are fully satisfying.

….since you introduced high price as a measure of inferiority…

Newman

Major Contributor
HD800 = brighter, with beautiful harmonic detail of the strings
Genelec = strings sounded strained and fatiguing

When listening to these two recordings on the Genelecs, they sound okay (i.e. you don't know if that's just how the recording was made). But in comparison to the HD800 and a couple of other headphones I have (DCA Stealth and Denon D9200), the Genelecs come in last, and by quite a bit.

But since the HD800 are very common headphones, I figured some of the Genelec owners here might have them for comparison purposes. It's certainly possible that it's just my Genelec set up in an unfavorable room, or perhaps not.
Since Floyd Toole said, in this thread just recently, that Olive’s recent work persuasively shows that the most preferred headphones are the ones that sound most like good speakers in a good room, and the Genelec’s measurements are sure to qualify them as good speakers, your comment above can only be explained in ways that you didn’t intend:-
  • Your room is not a good room
  • Your sighted listening reports are useless to anyone reading them
The second one can be taken as a given, making the first one moot, but also entirely possible.

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Since Floyd Toole said, in this thread just recently, that Olive’s recent work persuasively shows that the most preferred headphones are the ones that sound most like good speakers in a good room, and the Genelec’s measurements are sure to qualify them as good speakers, your comment above can only be explained in ways that you didn’t intend:-
  • Your room is not a good room
  • Your sighted listening reports are useless to anyone reading them
The second one can be taken as a given, making the first one moot, but also entirely possible.
A good speaker in a bad room like the traditional living room become a bad speaker.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still trying to figure out how to mount my Revel F208s upside down and keep tweeter close to ear level.

One good thing I guess with the Genelec

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
How does it makes sense that the ATC SCM100 has a 12 inch, and is gigantic and weights about double the 8361A but is close in specs?
Screenshot_20211203-205006.jpg

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You can't compare specs between manufacturers, for one thing. For two things, buy them and send to Amir so we can MAFO(measure and find out). :)

Thirdly, the bass amplifier on that ATC is only 200W. That's not a lot especially for a 12", KH420 is only 10" of normal-ish design and it's got 300W. Seems a bit odd the driver can't handle more power but that may be related.

Trell

Major Contributor

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'm not sure where you're going with this but the Genelec 8361A are coaxial while the ATC are not, along with other differences I posted above, so just comparing size is not a fair comparison of their audio performance. What matters in the end: Does it sound good to you in your room?
My point is
Bigger speakers usually sound "bigger" than smaller speakers
Yes I'm in the minority here when it comes to this
But even in this video they say the ATCs sound big when compared to the 8C

Top Bottom