• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i saw that review friend, is the EX5 truly my best alternative nowadays considering price? sure measures amazing even compared to the DX7 Pro
For a balanced all in one, I'm not aware of anything competitive. It almost makes me want to buy headphones just so I have a reason to get it!

Vladetz

If i connect it to my PC with Windows 11 it would be better to set windows bolume to 100% and control it via topping knob/remote?

igor0203

Hi guys!

I am considering buying this to mostly use for IEMs but what concerns me is that I've read in review that protection kicks in for load <20 ohms.
Since few of my iems are between 8 and 16 ohms, that means I can't use them with DX3 Pro+?

Robert C

Apologies if this has been answered already. Can I use the RCA outs in fixed mode to feed an integrated amp, and simultaneously connect headphones and modulate their volume using this device's volume knob (whilst the RCA out remains fixed)?

MCH

Major Contributor
i saw that review friend, is the EX5 truly my best alternative nowadays considering price? sure measures amazing even compared to the DX7 Pro
If I remember well @JohnYang1997 has mentioned a couple of times that as preamplifier, D30 pro is better. If this is going to be your main use, maybe it is worth considering...

LTyla

Hi guys!

I am considering buying this to mostly use for IEMs but what concerns me is that I've read in review that protection kicks in for load <20 ohms.
Since few of my iems are between 8 and 16 ohms, that means I can't use them with DX3 Pro+?
I've just received this device today and tested with both HD6xx and Moondrop Blessing 2 and you can rest assured that the possible clipping problem might only occur with headphones requiring quite a bit more power than any IEM. For example - an inefficient headphone with low impedance but also low sensitivity.
P.S. Shipping took only 11 days, which is way less than quoted average of 3 weeks. :cool:

igor0203

I've just received this device today and tested with both HD6xx and Moondrop Blessing 2 and you can rest assured that the possible clipping problem might only occur with headphones requiring quite a bit more power than any IEM. For example - an inefficient headphone with low impedance but also low sensitivity.
P.S. Shipping took only 11 days, which is way less than quoted average of 3 weeks. :cool:
Thank you for your reply! I checked specs for Blessing 2 and rated impedance is 22 ohm.
My Softears RSV is rated at 8 ohms and Shuoer EJ07M at 19 ohms which I assume would trigger protection mode?

Last edited:

LTyla

I'd still go as far to say that you shouldn't have any problems, because in the clipping charts it's stated that high gain mode was tested - meaning a situation where a low sensitivity headphone would need to be driven.
Sadly, I don't have any other phones with lower sensitivity to test, but hopefully someone else could pitch in and correct me, or, hopefully - agree that you shouldn't have problems. :)

Walter

I'd be really shocked if any IEMs exist that required enough power to trigger protection mode.

igor0203

I contacted Topping support to clear this mistery and received a response that they don't recommend using DX3 Pro+ with 8ohm headphones.

Dear Igor

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

Not recommended. We recommend connecting headphones with an impedance of over 8 ohms.

Best Regards

kingduckling

Ordered it, needed another dac/amp. This should drive 600 ohm beyers right? Don't have them but im curious.

Carlo2AC

Ordered it, needed another dac/amp. This should drive 600 ohm beyers right? Don't have them but im curious.
Read the review on the first post friend, it has enough power to even drive some power hungry planars

Everything you throw at it you should not have any issue with the lack of power.

lmmo

I recently bought the Hifiman Deva Pro headphones. https://hifiman.com/products/detail/313

I can clearly notice an improvement of quality when moving from my MacBook Pro (mid-2012) audio port to the Bluemini R2R via USB cable (besides Bluetooth, the Bluemini can work as DAC with 24 bit, 768 KHz, 120 dB SNR, 0.0022% THD according to the manufacturer).

Based on this experience , I would expect even better performance by using a dedicated DAC/AMP. I understand that the DX3 Pro+ is a highly regarded option, but I see some question marks about driving low impedance headphones. The Deva Pro has a 18Ω impedance, but relatively low efficiency (93.5 dB).

Are my expectations of improvement by using a dedicated DAC/AMP reasonable? Is the DX3 Pro+ ideal, or should I look at something different?

Thanks!

Aizek

I am too dumb to understand the manual: how do I get into settings/setup mode when only using the knob?

NewbieOne

Should I be getting this or Sound Blaster AE-9 for the same price ($200-ish in Europe)? (Already have K5 as a dedicated amp but no DAC outside of internal soundcards.)

phoenixsong

Should I be getting this or Sound Blaster AE-9 for the same price ($200-ish in Europe)? (Already have K5 as a dedicated amp but no DAC outside of internal soundcards.)
Interesting, I shall keep an eye on that product. I find it strange that you are comparing it with the DX3pro as it has a dedicated mic input though. Probably more apt to compare it with products like the Mayflower ARC Mk2 or Schiit Hel or something like the Motu M2 *(probably more of pro interfaces like the latter due to its inclusion of phantom power)

Top Bottom