• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer buzzing

Aidinjon

Hi my rel sub sx212 buzzing. all grounding seem ok I have dedicated 20 amp connected to my audioquest 7000 power conditioner. All cables brand new and I plugged in to other outlets which are on different circuits but no luck. It's buzzing when everything on and buzzing when all components are off. Ground wire (Xlr LFE input)also connected to my preamp chassi and rear sub. Yellow and red cables from speakon connected to the amp and black cable covered with black tape. Also connected the black cable to black connector behind amp just to try but still same issue. I need help thank you

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With a ground loop hum sometimes you have to simplify and test things one at a time. Can be introduced to your setup in a few ways. Trial and error to determine are the way to go. It's ony after introducing this sub as new to your system or ? All those goofy Rel voodoo connections can't help, tho (nor likely the fraudioquest "conditioner").

hwest

If cables test good check the connection terminals perhaps something came lose or a pin is recessed. Unplug everything except the problem child see if the noise still exists, finally try another cable trial and error. When I say remove everything I mean HDMI cables as well.

OP
A

Aidinjon

With a ground loop hum sometimes you have to simplify and test things one at a time. Can be introduced to your setup in a few ways. Trial and error to determine are the way to go. It's ony after introducing this sub as new to your system or ? All those goofy Rel voodoo connections can't help, tho (nor likely the fraudioquest "conditioner").
Brand new I made sure of that. All audioquest cabling are took out and sold. Only power conditioner and interconnects are still audioquest. I'm using all original components power cables. But I will disconnect 1 by 1 and see what happens thank you so much

OP
A

Aidinjon

If cables test good check the connection terminals perhaps something came lose or a pin is recessed. Unplug everything except the problem child see if the noise still exists, finally try another cable trial and error. When I say remove everything I mean HDMI cables as well.
I found the problem. The Furman power conditioner causing the buzz even though I connect it to other circuit outlet, still causing problem. being in there without anything connected to it, still causing the buzz but why? I moved the Furman to the rear and connected my identical sub no buzz. Could being next to other components or other power conditioner conflicting?

hwest

I found the problem. The Furman power conditioner causing the buzz even though I connect it to other circuit outlet, still causing problem. being in there without anything connected to it, still causing the buzz but why? I moved the Furman to the rear and connected my identical sub no buzz. Could being next to other components or other power conditioner conflicting?
There is a lot of information on buzzing and Furman's, I have always used Panamax with no issues and you can get either the higher end or lower end model never an issue with windings or buzz, there is always the possibility of a bad ground in your house but that can be checked with the $5 plugin checker.

I stand corrected on the transformers.

Good to know you are not alone.

It is funny that Furman is not posting this information on the WWW. I always had a lot of respect for them.

I had a piece of equipment from Z-Systems. It was a digital switcher and had a low level hum/buzz in it. I tried wrapping the transformer in rubber, I isolated the transformer on rubber bushings and nothing helped. I finally remoted the power supply and that took care of the problem. I have had to do that fix on more than one occasion. Sometimes for hum/buzz from the transformer windings sometimes for bad S/N ratios in the unit caused by the proximity of the transformer to the low level audio circuits.

Glad you are getting it solved.

usually it's caused by loose laminations on the transformer, but DC on the AC line can also cause mechanical transformer hum. Try a different circuit or better yet, turn off ALL circuits and unplug everything but the Furman. If it stops, work backwards to find the culprit. It's possible another piece of equipment is causing DC noise on the AC line.

Last edited:
OP
A

Aidinjon

There is a lot of information on buzzing and Furman's, I have always used Panamax with no issues and you can get either the higher end or lower end model never an issue with windings or buzz, there is always the possibility of a bad ground in your house but that can be checked with the $5 plugin checker.

I stand corrected on the transformers.

Good to know you are not alone.

It is funny that Furman is not posting this information on the WWW. I always had a lot of respect for them.

I had a piece of equipment from Z-Systems. It was a digital switcher and had a low level hum/buzz in it. I tried wrapping the transformer in rubber, I isolated the transformer on rubber bushings and nothing helped. I finally remoted the power supply and that took care of the problem. I have had to do that fix on more than one occasion. Sometimes for hum/buzz from the transformer windings sometimes for bad S/N ratios in the unit caused by the proximity of the transformer to the low level audio circuits.

Glad you are getting it solved.

usually it's caused by loose laminations on the transformer, but DC on the AC line can also cause mechanical transformer hum. Try a different circuit or better yet, turn off ALL circuits and unplug everything but the Furman. If it stops, work backwards to find the culprit. It's possible another piece of equipment is causing DC noise on the AC line.
I appreciate your help I will definitely do what you are recommending. Grounding is good because a few months ago added solar panels and I did panel upgrade and for my movie Room I have 2 of 20 amp dedicated lines and a sub panel. Most likely is the Furman. I'm going to put it under microscope lol. Thank you again

Top Bottom